Old
10NL - 6max - Variance ? (AA) multi-way - Mon Jun 30, 2014, 06:56 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2013
Hey guys,

Recently restarted my 10NL adventure.
After some ups and downs had this hand :
http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...569_A2805B2D67

Is there anything obviously wrong or should I just call it variance ?

Thanks and regards,
Bogdan (aka Shoim )

Old
Mon Jun 30, 2014, 11:29 PM
(#2)
Since: Apr 2010
Hey shoim,

Any stats on the villain?

Preflop I would tend to make my raise a bit bigger due to utg stack size and our position in the hand. We'll be oop on future streets so we want to try and get the SPR a bit more favourable towards a hand like AA to make life a little easier if we are called.

I dislike the size of your flop bet, think it's too small. I would be betting 1.30 maybe, something close to pot. When you size your bet this small MW you are giving draws a cheap price and as you tend to have the best hand here a huge percentage of the time you should be trying to get a lot of money in the pot. It also, like the sizing pre flop, helps to make our decisions easier on future streets. Hands like 78ss, 77, 66, will call your small bet yes but there are a lot of turn cards that may scare this part of opponents range, and it may be hard to get more value on later streets.

I don't mind the turn sizing, 8x and some other pairs may peel one more on this street.

The river is tough. Would really help to have some stats. If the villain is passive I think I would bet/fold this river. Sizing would not be too big, something to still target those 8x hands and medium pairs that can put us on some draws and maybe hero call. 150bb deep an overpair is not that strong in terms of relative hand strength facing a raise otr on a relatively dry board. Plus we hold the Ace of diamonds, meaning villain has less busted draws he could be bluffing with. Villain could be playing a set tricky, or have some other weird combinations due to your small sizing otf. Point being I don't expect to see a bluff here enough to make the call profitable.

The premiums do get cracked from time to time, but often there are times where small details could save us a lot of money in these spots.

Hope that helps some. Just my opinions.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jun 30, 2014, 11:59 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi shoim,

I think what's wrong is the river play as well personally. Firstly, the bet sizing is a bit heavy handed for no read... think about what hands we are targeting for value. It's a lot of 2nd pair type hands, 99, 8x, and some weaker stuff like 77. Villain will have a few queens in his range which may pay the bigger amount, but those are mostly QdXd, not enough to make Qx the focus of our target imo. So more like 3-3.50 max here is the sizing I'd choose, make it easier for the weak range we're targeting to actually call us. And lastly, there is no reason to call off our last $7.46 when he sets us all in... unless you have reads that the villain is a wild river bluffer, just bet/fold here... he'll always have 1 pair beat.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jul 03, 2014, 01:45 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2013
Hey guys,

Thank you for the input. I had no stats on my opponent, it was a zoom table I just joined.
given his line of action made put him on a weak hand and mark him loose pasive.
I guess this was a bit of tilt on my side, as I was on shot and had lost some nasty hands before on the river.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Back to 2NL until I can discipline myself :-)

Old
Thu Jul 03, 2014, 02:35 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoim View Post
given his line of action made put him on a weak hand and mark him loose pasive.
This should be the big red flag to think about. If you're feeling like he is loose-passive, then when he raises the river you should be comfortable folding 1 pair.

Quote:
Back to 2NL until I can discipline myself :-)
Sounds like the foundation of good discipline.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com