Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

first post, feedback please.

Old
first post, feedback please. - Thu Jul 03, 2014, 10:06 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2014

It´s obvious my river-bet I was a bit blinded by hitting two pairs on the river, but I really didn´t think he was fishing the flush considering the raises I did.
How could I have played this hand better ?

Old
Thu Jul 03, 2014, 11:02 AM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
(Moderator)
Hello,

Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline!

Here is a link to help familiarize you with all the features and services available at PSO. Feel free to look around the forum and post any comments or questions you may have.

You are invited to join the PokerSchoolOnline Community Home Games Club. Information on how to join the club may be found HERE. Hope to see you there!

The hand you posted, the replayer does not appear to be working correctly.

Old
Thu Jul 03, 2014, 11:17 AM
(#3)
Thank you!

I will take a look.
Strange, the video is playing for me.

Old
Thu Jul 03, 2014, 12:12 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
** moved to Basic Poker Hand Discussions **

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jul 03, 2014, 01:47 PM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
What type of tourney is this from, which seat are you and how were the opps playing? Different tourney types have different strategies, so I want to be able to give you the best possible answer.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jul 04, 2014, 10:36 AM
(#6)
Hi John!

Are you not able to see the video either ?

I think it was a Hubbles Freeroll.

Blinds are 60/120

I´m villain nr. 9 playing from UTG, I have AJs cloves and I´m raising to 275 (my stack 4490 chips)

Villain 3, 7 and 8 calls (Villain 3 has 5315 chips)

Flop is 3h, 4c, 10h

Villain 7 and 8 (sb & bb) checks.
I raise 360.
Villain 3 calls. Villain 7 calls. Villain 8 folds.

Turn is an Ace of diamonds giving me top pair.

small blind checks again, I raise 480.
Villain 3 calls. SB folds.

River is Jack of hearts. Giving me 2 pairs, and the possible flush... ?

I raise 1615. Villain 3 calls and has 7h8h -flush.

Old
Fri Jul 04, 2014, 10:40 AM
(#7)
I will try to post another video, see if it works better this time.
Another hubbles freeroll, and another bad river for me.
I hope this isn´t a trend... lol

I´ll let the video "speak for itself".

Old
Fri Jul 04, 2014, 11:13 AM
(#8)
Since: Sep 2013
Omerta. On the first hand........

My own personal opinion is that AJoff is maybe a bit loose of an opening hand from UTG. Its not that its bad its just that its a hand that can fairly easily find itself dominated. So pre id question even entering the pot but then I'm a nit. But if I was going to raise I need to raise more. I'm out of position so the raise really needs to be in the range of 360-420. The reason for this is that we are out of position.

On the flop I think you need to figure out what you were betting for? You have missed so it really isn't a value bet. So you are trying to get the villains to fold. Where I would maybe take this line in a heads up pot when im in multiway the chances of someone having something and calling me down is higher. Therefore its a check and then a fold if the villain bets. But if I was going to bet I need to bet way more. There is flush draw out there. By betting only a third pot i'm allowing anyone drawing to a flush to play correctly against me. They are priced in. Bet needs to be at least 3/4 to pot. Another reason we shouldn't be looking to do this with air as it is around 25% of our remaining stack.

On the turn again the bet sizing is bad. 500 into a 2000 pot. From my point of view if you are going to bet this street you have to shove. The correct bet sizing is around 1500 which leaves you less than half pot for the river committing you..........so it has to be a shove.

On the river well it should be a check fold. Your bet sizing has given the villain the correct odds to call every street so when the flush hits..........well.

In summary there is a pretty significant bet sizing problem here that you need to address. There is loads of good info around the forum that should help

Old
Fri Jul 04, 2014, 11:15 AM
(#9)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi omerta!

The replayer will not have what type of tourney a hand comes from, nor info about the players.

for the 35o hand, this hand is a trash hand and needs to be mucked preflop. The SB is the position where I want to be playing the least number of hands due to the positional disadvantage postflop, so I only want to be playing very strong hands from this position.

From UTG, AJs, is a bit too weak to be playing and also needs to be mucked preflop. I'd play AK or AKs and possibly AQs, any other non-paired aces are too weak to play at a full ring table.

If I was in the hand, when I flop nothing, I need to check and fold. Bets postflop need to be sized based on the number of opps, size of the pot and board texture. With 3 opps, I would need to bet 3/4 pot and I'm not doing this is in a freeroll with nothing.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jul 04, 2014, 11:55 AM
(#10)
Thanks both of you!

Etchos, it was AJs, not that it makes a whole lot of difference.
I had been folding and folding and wanted to be part of the game, so I decided to try even if I was UTG, but I guess I need to work on my betting. The players on that table was quite loose as well, so I thought why not...

I realise now how bad I played that hand.

As for the 35 - it cost me 25 chips to see the flop from small blind, with many limpers.
I got open-ended on the flop + a mid pair, and a straight on the turn... If it wasn´t for the river giving him a full house I would have doubled up early on. I think it´s worth it in a free roll to take a chance like that, even if it´s trash to begin with.
Any other flop and I´d just fold and lose 25 chips... oh well.

Instead I lost it all, but what I think is more questionable is the guy calling my shove with 2 pairs when there´s an obvious straight.

Old
Fri Jul 04, 2014, 12:11 PM
(#11)
The reason I bet 275 with the AJs is that IF I get reraised it´s not a huge pile of chips to let go... Should I really bet that hard, etchos?

I was going for a continuation bet on the AJs flop. The others don´t know that I missed. Let´s say I had AA or KK on my hand, should I still raise harder on the flop...isn´t a couple of calls better, to build a pot?
I guess with the flush draw, yes, I need to bet hard and get rid of them, at least on the turn when I hit my ace.

Old
Fri Jul 04, 2014, 01:14 PM
(#12)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
The thinking of 'getting in cheap' from the SB is a leak that many beginners have (one I had to stop doing when I first started). It's a play that will lose a large number of chips over time due to the positional disadvantage and due to this, is something that I need to avoid.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jul 04, 2014, 01:27 PM
(#13)
Ok, so basically, don´t play trash hands on SB...
I´ll try to avoid it.

How about this:

Just now in the poker school open skill league.
Blinds are 30/60 (!)

I just tried a squeeze from the button on 2 limpers.
I had A9 and 1440 chips.

This russian guy on the cut off called my all in with Q4s, he had 1420 chips.

Needless to say, the queen appeared.

Old
Fri Jul 04, 2014, 01:30 PM
(#14)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
In open league games, the one and only goal is to outlast as many players as possible in order to obtain more an more league points for the end of the month leaderboards.

To do so, I cannot take chances in them. Especially early in them, I can only play premium made hands, do not bluff and do not try anything tricky. Doing so can cost me chips, league points and money from the end of the month leaderboards... where the real money is.

In them, I do not ever want to be all-in unless I'm blinded in or I'm certain that I will have the best hand after all 5 cards are on the board. The word squeeze shouldn't even be a part of my vocabulary in these until I'm ITM.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jul 04, 2014, 01:35 PM
(#15)
John, you´re a very strict teacher ! Hahaha, but thanks, I appreciate it!

What do you think about the guy calling with Q4s ?
He sure did a much worse play than me in my humble opinion.

Old
Fri Jul 04, 2014, 01:38 PM
(#16)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
IMO, both plays were very bad.

Early in a league game, the only hands that I'm playing are AA, KK, maybe QQ and maybe AK... that's it. Anything else is too weak and not worth the risk.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jul 04, 2014, 01:44 PM
(#17)
So you´d fold QQ or JJ in any position? Cut off or button ?
I don´t think I´ll ever be able to do that, especially considering what I´ve seen so far.

I did fold AK on the flop with a gutshot for straight earlier in the same league-game.
Some guy went all in with a flush draw and lost to a guy calling with AJ. The guy with flush draw was in position though.
I would´ve gotten the straight on the river, but that´s just how it is...

Old
Fri Jul 04, 2014, 01:49 PM
(#18)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
When playing, one thing that I don't want to be is results oriented. Once I fold a hand, I need to forget it even happened. I want to make the best decision possible for a given situation... anything else is out of my control.

John (JWK24)

P.S. If you don't play this tight early in these, you'll lose out on a good bit of $$$ from the leaderboards. chips gained in a tourney are never worth the $$ you can lose from an early exit.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jul 04, 2014, 01:56 PM
(#19)
Alright, tightening up.

Considering there´s much more at stake losing early on in this skill league, I still don´t get why this guy chooses to call an all in with Q4s. He can´t be bothered much with that fact.

Thanks for the help so far, John!

I´ll post more later on, both winning hands and losing hands.

Old
Fri Jul 04, 2014, 03:14 PM
(#20)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
The league games have a strategy unto themselves... that will not apply to a standard tournament.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com