Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2nl deep vs good opponent

Old
Question
2nl deep vs good opponent - Thu Jul 03, 2014, 06:15 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2013
Hey guys,

I would like to know your opinions on this http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...235_F73ED95ECA
Opponent stats :
- 29/26 (81)
- solid player and despite stats seems TAG
My notes on him :
- 3b 0.24 btn KK vs loose-passive, slow plays set on flop/turn, pots river
- with a flush board he is trying to bluff turn (cbets 1/2 pot flop and turn) right after that slowplay (only me and him involved)
My thoughts on the hand is :
- he is polarized when opening (SB is a loose passive guy) - he is either strong (AA, AK, KK, QQ) or 98s type of hands
- the flop is not much of help - he can raise for value AK or thinly a JJ/QQ or complete air
- his line is aggro, starting from the pre-flop raise 4x raise from the btn, whereas he usually 3x
My plan is to raise for value the turn and fold to a re-re-raise (set's are my concern here but if he is just calling I still have outs (provided ofc he is not holding AA))
Question is : was the check-raise here a mistake ? Should I had just called and re-evaluate river ?
Or is there something else wrong ?

Thanks,
Shoim

Last edited by shoim; Thu Jul 03, 2014 at 06:41 PM..

Old
Thu Jul 03, 2014, 06:22 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
I'd have check/called the turn, then led the river.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jul 03, 2014, 06:36 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2013
Hey John,

Thanks.
True, if I had no reads or notes on him that would be my standard line here.
But my turn action is aimed at narrowing his range and get value from KK/QQ/AK .
OTF I am blocking AA/TT to a good degree but not 22 (maybe unlikely but not impossible for him to have as a way to steal pre)
If I am giving him signs of me thin betting lower Ax hands, or an inferior pocket pair he is most likely putting a large re-raise on the river (maybe even shoving) then I am dead in the water.
The 9d is not changing much, with no draw OTF he is not calling or raising, so back-door flush is not a likely holding for him (ofc Adxd is not to be negleted)
So my line here was to make my river decision a bit easier if a new diamond appears or a total brick.

Regards

ps: changed my initial post, TT was not a thin value on that board

Old
Thu Jul 03, 2014, 07:05 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
29/26 is far from being TAG, so the 3 hands you're targeting are a minute part of the opp's range. With an opp playing this wide, there are plenty of hands that I'll be able to get more value from on the river by calling the turn bet. The opp most likely has 1 pair or a gutter, so I want to get more value. By raising the turn, I'm only going to get called by hands that will have good equity against me.

An opp as loose and aggro as this, if the opp raises, my lead on the river, I'm also calling.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com