Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

NL10 Zoom - multi-way with top pair

Old
NL10 Zoom - multi-way with top pair - Fri Jul 04, 2014, 03:04 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2014
Poker Stars, $0.05/$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Cash, 6 Players
Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: $9.45 (94.5 bb)
BB: $11.23 (112.3 bb)
Hero (UTG): $10.75 (107.5 bb)
MP: $10.56 (105.6 bb)
CO: $3.89 (38.9 bb)
BTN: $10.25 (102.5 bb)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K Q
Hero raises to $0.30, MP folds, CO calls $0.30, BTN folds, SB raises to $0.70, BB folds, Hero calls $0.40, CO calls $0.40

Flop: ($2.20) Q 3 6 (3 players)
SB bets $1.30, Hero calls $1.30, CO calls $1.30

Turn: ($6.10) T (3 players)
SB bets $7.45 and is all-in, Hero ?

Both villains are unknown (only 4 hands on them), however CO marked as fish, maybe I saw him limping or something like that. SB also doesn't have a full stack and his raising size pre-flop is weird, so I guess he's not a good player too.

I'm calling pre-flop, because the odds are just too good, also I believe that CO will join too and I'm happy to play two high cards against bad players.

I'm very happy with the flop when I hit my Queen, calling the SB bet to keep a shortstacker in the pot.

The turn is where things starts to get complicated, SB pushes all his stack, which is a little bit bigger then a pot size. Is it OK to call here?

I believe we're only losing to AQ, TT, KK, AA, QQ which is pretty unlikely and maybe QT, but it's also unlikely, because I don't think that the villain can 3-bet QT pre and also we're blocking the Q. Because of his small 3-bet pre, I also thought that KK-AA is pretty unlikely too, but maybe I'm wrong, he seems to be a fish after all. On the other hand, I can see lots of bluffs/semi-bluffs in his range, f.e. KJ, JJ, AK, two spades...

Old
Fri Jul 04, 2014, 04:42 PM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2013
Why would villain bluff when you have a baby stack in the pot who is never folding.

Old
Fri Jul 04, 2014, 07:16 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
I would fold PF or 4B click it back. SB 3bet ranges are usually very strong and KQo is in really bad shape here. The reason for 4B clicking it back is that KQo has a ton of blockers vs. a tight (3%) range of hands.

Old
Sat Jul 05, 2014, 07:20 AM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2010
To make a call decision here, we have to check the odds we are getting. So to call the 7.45 we need to be good 7.45/21 or >35% against their range to be a +EV call. What this means is that we have to see how KQ plays against their range. Given they bet 60% OTF and over bet turn then the Ts either helped them or adds worry to their hand which makes me think that their range would include mostly of TP+ or picked up a combo draw.
Against {QQ+, TT, 66, AsKs, AQ, AsJs, KQ, KsJs, and QJ} we only have 34% equity which does not justify a call.

Old
Sat Jul 05, 2014, 09:32 AM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2014
But it's very close, right? For example, if we exclude 66 from your given range, which I don't think he's going to raise pre-flop, my equity goes up to 36,5%.

Old
Sun Jul 06, 2014, 05:26 AM
(#6)
Since: Oct 2010
With their preflop sizing, they could really be doing anything and without any specific reads or stats we really can't justify whether a hand could be 3bet preflop or not. Make a scientific guess and take if from there I suppose.

Old
Sun Jul 06, 2014, 08:33 AM
(#7)
Since: Jan 2013
Is it possible to even know what the correct play is here you can put all sorts of ranges in on the turn and be well and truly crushed or have a call just about.

I dont think we can put QJ in his range read less though George so im folding, i would be more likely to think he is over bluffing all his combos of AK.

Then we have the problem of even if we knew his exact preflop range we dont know what hands he over bets turn with so if i were villain i wouldn't ship QQ as i don't expect to get called i wouldn't ship AA either as i block AQ and hero shouldn't even have that wide of a range anyway.

So i could see myself betting small or check jamming maybe, yh i don't know what the best way is to construct my range on the turn is but all im saying is we can make pretty big mistakes using pot odds when we put weaker hands than ours in there range or when we put hands in there overbetting range when they might be doing something else with them like QQ.

Actually i cant think of any value hands i might want to ship the turn with other than KK or if both players are mega fish snapping all sorts of pairs.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com