Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Hard time with PSO "Skill" League

Old
Hard time with PSO "Skill" League - Mon Jul 07, 2014, 03:08 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2010
I'm having a hard time with the PSO "Skill" League.

Is this a spot where we just call and play fit or fold?
When are we committing our stacks in these tournaments?
Are we raise folding with less than 10bb?
Is the correct strategy in these tournaments to limp yourself broke?

Thanks!

UTG+1 Loose Passive(62 hands): 32/19/1.0

Old
Mon Jul 07, 2014, 03:54 PM
(#2)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi dirt eh!

The league games have a strategy unto themselves, so this will be totally different from cash tourneys or cash games.

With JJ on the button, I get an EP raise to 360. Due to the opp being looser, I'm going to call the 360 here and see a flop. My plan for the flop is to bet any flop with a J or lower than my pair and I will have to fold to a c-bet on any flop with a higher card (fit/fold). If the opp was tight, then due to my chip stack, I'd actually cringe doing it, but need to fold pre. If this was a cash tourney, I'm snap-shoving.. so this is a good example of where I need to play differently due to it being a league game.

I don't want to be all-in early in a league game, unless I'm certain that I'll be ahead after all 5 cards are on the board, as the point penalty and possible lost cash from the end of the month leaderboard for an early exit will never outweigh the amount of tourney chips I can gain.

I'm also never pot-committed in a league game unless I'm blinded in... so where I'd shove here in a cash tourney due to being pot-committed, I cannot do so in a league game.

Once I'm into + points territory for the game, I will want to be shoving when I'm at 10BB or lower (unless it's the final table bubble, where I pick up extra league points for making a FT)... BUT... I cannot look at it that way while it's early and I'm still in negative point range if I lose and exit the tourney.

One thing I will NOT do in these is to limp myself broke. When I do play hands, I want to be aggressive, so what I will do is to play a bit tighter, but will be aggressive when I get into a hand. I may limp behind someone, but I'm never open-limping.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jul 07, 2014, 04:09 PM
(#3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
Once I'm into + points territory for the game
How do I calculate this? Where does the + point threshold start? I noticed that I was getting positive points even when I'm not cashing in these tournaments.

Thanks,

Old
Mon Jul 07, 2014, 11:53 PM
(#4)
Hi dirt eh,

That positive points threshold is hard to determine, and I don't believe the Scoring Formula really helps to narrow it down. It seems to start at about 30% of the field remaining in the early part of the month. As you accumulate points it becomes tougher to earn more. And the threshold rises as well.

Hope this helps.

Joss

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jul 08, 2014, 01:16 PM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2012
SilverStar
@JWK
Ive been employing this strategy this last week and my results have been less then stellar.

1.- The few hands I play have to hold up/win
2.- I have to double up a couple times with these hands to ever be in a position to burst the bubble comfortably. This is not an easy task as there are plenty of other nits at most tables.
3.- The vast majority of the time I won't be getting enough premium hands to avoid facing very tough decisions/lay-downs towards the middle of the tourney.

I'm considering just playing my regular tourney play and go busto or robusto.
Maybe the times I make it deep will make up for the times I exit early.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jul 08, 2014, 02:19 PM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sle4zy_E View Post
I'm considering just playing my regular tourney play and go busto or robusto.
Maybe the times I make it deep will make up for the times I exit early.
Depending on your score, it will take at least 2 and possibly up to 5 deep runs to counteract every one early exit. The later in the month, the higher and higher this number will be.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jul 08, 2014, 02:31 PM
(#7)
Since: Jul 2012
SilverStar
Yikes, didn't realize the scoring was so dynamic.

Thx for the heads up.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jul 08, 2014, 02:40 PM
(#8)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sle4zy_E View Post
Yikes, didn't realize the scoring was so dynamic.

Thx for the heads up.
It's not quite as dynamic as with the older leagues when the US players were able to play. I had one month with an early exit with AA toward the end of the month that took me 6 consecutive ITM's to even get to be a cumulative zero.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com