Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Time bomb!

Old
Time bomb! - Tue Jul 08, 2014, 12:52 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2011
It is $3.30 15mins Time tournament with 5mins blind level and 1500 starting stack. We all know what our aim is, to survive but with good chips and not 3BB stack.

Can I shove? This is the first hand of the tournament

Old
Tue Jul 08, 2014, 02:30 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi adikumar2010!

Simple answer on a shove... no way, no how, not happening. Here's why....

This is the first hand of a tournament and I have a marginal-at-best hand that is barely ahead of an ATC call, let alone from a single real hand. If both opps call, even with ATC, I'm going to lose this more than 7 in every 10 times. If both call with realistic hands, then I'm losing over 3 in every 4 times!

Early in tourneys, I only want to be all in with premium made hands or when I'm a very large favorite and 22 is definitely not in this category as at best case I'm in a flip.

The play that I will make is to call and play fit/fold on the flop. If I get a 2, then I'll bet.. if not, I'm check/folding.

I wouldn't even shove QQ+ here, as a standard raise would not even pot-commit me. If I had a hand that was worthy of a raise, I'm making it 400 to go.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com