Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Pocket Jacks, Playing Scared - 5NL ZOOM 6-Max

Old
Pocket Jacks, Playing Scared - 5NL ZOOM 6-Max - Wed Jul 09, 2014, 05:47 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2013
Hi guys,

I am not gonna lie, the last downswing that I had has caused me to played scared.

Please could you analyse my hand below.

This is what I have been reduced to.

This happens a ton, especially when I continuation bet the flop.

I know I should have bet flop here, but then you get raised and I fold.

Cheers,

Matt

Old
Wed Jul 09, 2014, 06:53 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
Any stats on this Villain? I would cbet this board 100% and call when raised. Re-evaluate OTT.

As played... not good. If we're 3betting JJ just to fold when we get played back at, then why 3bet this hand in the first place?

Go down to 2nl and build your confidence back up.

Old
Thu Jul 10, 2014, 02:18 AM
(#3)
No stats on villain.

I 3bet because I believe it's the right thing to do (when I have no reads and I want to seize initiative); however, I get scared on the flop - keep believing that they have the goods. He probably has an overpair here.

Cheers dirt.

Old
Thu Jul 10, 2014, 03:15 AM
(#4)
Since: Jan 2013
Dirt dont you think it is a bit suspect for villain to show an over pair after checking the flop, if he did have over pairs we beat then why give our over card a free card and then raise the brick turn.

Old
Thu Jul 10, 2014, 04:29 AM
(#5)
Mike,

I take it that is aimed at me, pullin

yeah this was "silly play". I got scared and played this badly.

Mike what would you do? Villain is an unknown.

Cheers,

Matt

Old
Thu Jul 10, 2014, 05:00 AM
(#6)
Since: Apr 2010
Pullin the 3 bet is too small. When out of position you want to lower the spr so you take away some of villains positional advantage post flop. I usually 3.5/4x depending on how wide villain will flat ip.

I think because you only 3x it here villains flatting range is pretty wide. Also because it's 5nl expect to see all pocket pairs, and lots of suited connectors in their range.

It's quite possible you're beat on the turn. But by not cbetting the flop you put yourself in a spot where you have no idea where you are at. If you cbet, and villain calls, you can expect to be ahead a lot of the time as most decent ax and pairs will peel a low paired board. Then if raised on the turn it's time to re evaluate, stats or any info on the villain would be extremely useful here. They're polarised then to having a handful of monster value combinations/ possibly some bluffs and slowplays (kk/aa).

The only reason to check this flop should be for deception, which you do not need at these limits. Just value bet in these spots until told otherwise

If this is happening a lot when you cbet flop and turn, you need to use your notes/ hud to determine what the correct play is. Board texture, do they play draws aggresively etc. Can they be raising for value with worse. If i call, what is my plan for x river if villain bets?

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jul 10, 2014, 06:55 AM
(#7)
Cheers Paddy,

The majority of the time I don't have any reads on the villains that I encounter, because they are new to me. The only thing I can really go on is the stack sizes and bet sizing.

I usually aim my 3bet at around about that mark to make my resteal that little bit more profitable.

What are the standard 6max villain stat types that I should look out for? I know full ring well, but I don't really know 6max?

I will continue to post hands and hope that I improve.

guys, could you please check something for me...basically could you check you SB & BB resteals (3bets) and tell me if you are profitable?

Cheers,

Matt

Old
Thu Jul 10, 2014, 03:46 PM
(#8)
You may be risking less to win the same amount, but you also have less fold equity when you 3bet a smaller sizing, especially when villain is ip.

You always have some sort of info even in zoom. Check the lobby, if villain is 3/4 tabling they're almost certainly a reg.

6max tags are in the region of 20/17, nits are around 14/12, lags probably 25percent plus. I think you should look up some 6max guides and info and do some research because it sounds like you haven't done much study on it? Can't hurt, and you won't find all the answers you need on the forum unfortunately

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jul 10, 2014, 04:04 PM
(#9)
I never thought of checking the lobby for the amount o tables villain is playing. I have always right clicked and find, and most of the time I can't find villain. Sh*t paddy that's awesome. How could I miss that.

Cheers,

Matt

Old
Fri Jul 11, 2014, 04:18 AM
(#10)
I really didn't realise about the lobby thingy. At the start of every session, I could go through that list and mark all the 4 tabling villains as regs who, until I have reads, know what they are doing. All the one tablers I can leave blank as these will be potentially fish, where bet, bet, bet, shove with TPTK on good boards could be good.

I haven't tried it yet (in work at the mo), but can you colour code villains by the lobby list? Like you said, I will then have some info on them. Like if I have marked them as a reg, then I might want to go for two streets of value with TPTK. If they are a one tabler, and they don't top up their stack, likely a fishy type player that could overvalue certain hands.

Cheers,

Matt

Old
Fri Jul 11, 2014, 05:16 PM
(#11)
No you can't mark them from the lobby pullin.

Something you can also do is click 'observe game' and see some big hands from the zoom pool. you can mark regs from there and see how they played a hand in a certain spot.

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com