Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Turning top pair into a bluff - 10NL ZOOM

Old
Turning top pair into a bluff - 10NL ZOOM - Thu Jul 10, 2014, 06:59 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2012
Hello
Villain is a regular that I played tons with, 22/14 AF 2.9, SB open 50, f3b 75 from SB
Flop cb 59 Turn cb 56
WTSD 27

try to ignore the title in the hand

PF: am I better of 3betting? haven't looked at that huge positional open at the time.
Turn: can I still call? As a reg will he barrel Arag here to give me equity with my Q kicker?(I thought about that just after I made the call thats why I decided to bluff)
River: is the bluff legit? all his two pair/TP/sets/weak flushes have to fold atleast enough right?

Old
Thu Jul 10, 2014, 10:38 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Praydk,

Preflop: can really be played either way. I tend to 3B AQ in this spot because my general strategy vs. such a villain will be to 3b him pretty wide, so I am going to include more AQ type hands in that range for balance. Plus blind v blind our 3b tends to get called more by dominated hands like AJ and KQ.

Flop: Good.

Turn: Good. I would call for sure vs. this small sizing, as it can conceivably be a blocking bet with a single diamond, or a weaker ace or even Kx.

River: I see no compelling reason to try and bluff, as we can simply show down and beat his non-flushes. You're targeting 2 pair+ but I don't track with it in this spot because A) players don't like to fold 2 pair+ in blind v blind pots, even on scary boards, and B) his turn sizing doesn't look very strong, I would expect 2 pair or sets to be betting closer to 2/3rds pot again, or more... so he probably doesn't hold a lot of these anyway. He's probably got a lot of non-flushes we beat anyway, and some number of flushes he won't fold.

When targeting certain hand strengths in a bluff, it's important that:

1) The villain has those hand strengths in their range, the more the better
2) They can fold them.

Both these factors are going to be reduced in this situation imo.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com