Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

NL25zoom 77 makes set on river

Old
NL25zoom 77 makes set on river - Fri Jul 11, 2014, 09:50 AM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2014
Villain is a regular who plays 24/17/3bet7 who i previously seen raising flops with draws. On the river i just did not knew what to do and timed out. any help?

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/rep...ash=5D3684D374

Old
Fri Jul 11, 2014, 03:38 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
I would call. Villain opens to 4x PF? is this standard from him? looks like slow played AA or KK gone bad and now he's just betting the river because he's bad or bluffing.

If 4x open is standard for this villain then I would fold I guess but I don't like it considering the villain checks back OTF, no idea what they're checking back the flop and raising the turn with unless it's two big spades (AsKs)

Old
Fri Jul 11, 2014, 03:40 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi fonds,

Are we sure we can set mine this profitably from OOP? We need to win about half a stack here on average when we make a set, I'm not optimistic we will do so often enough vs. a 4x open and playing the pot OOP. It's going to be tough to perform well without a set not having the positional advantage as well. If the villain were a fish then I like calling for sure, but it's probably not profitable (or at best, marginally so) vs. this guy.

I don't think that calling the raise, and calling river, is going to be a money maker for us in the long run. Sure, we pick him off the times he's bluffing busted spades... when he doesn't have the 9s. If we don't improve our hand at all I don't think we can call.

Since we made a set, it's closer, as we've just drawn out on top pair or overpairs, but his line looks fairly strong to me betting the river big. Ultimately I don't think we're losing much folding or calling. IOW the river isn't a very important question in terms of our long term bottom line. This whole hand is a nice example though of the difficulty of playing a small pair out of position vs. a competent opponent.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com