Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Borderline decision!

Old
Borderline decision! - Fri Jul 11, 2014, 10:00 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2011
It's $3.30 APPT ACOP Mega Giveaway Satellite Stage 2. 10mins blind level and 1500 starting stack.

Top 8 players get $22 Ticket to Stage 3 $22 Satellite, 9th place get $7 real money. I am 13/16. So if I don't double up I am surely to bubble this tournament.

Can I shove? If not, then what do I need minimum in these kind of spots.

Mind you two big stacks have limped so I might not get a fold for sure from them.

Old
Fri Jul 11, 2014, 11:18 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi adikumar2010!

The big ? here that is left unanswered, is... how many chips am I from 8th and 9th stack? This will have a bearing on my range later in this.

With it being the two big stacks that limped (would expect at least 1, if not both to call a shove), I'm not liking a shove here at all, as the hand is too weak. What I'm going to do is that since I have over 14BB and nearing 15BB, I'm going to call behind here and try to setmine a 6.

With two passive opps behind me, the only one I'd be worrying about squeezing is the SB and my plan will be to fold if the SB does squeeze, as 66 is behind their range.

To shove here, I'd want a much better hand than 66 as I can easily end up in a 3 or even 4 way pot and small pairs do not play well in this type of situation. If I could be isolated against a loose opp, then I'd go with 66, but not in a multiway pot.

I'd be looking for a spot where I'm isolated against one opp or can be first into the pot.

To get involved in a multiway pot here in a satellite, I'd want a very narrow range, say JJ+, AKo+. If I'm a large number of chips from 8th-9th, then I may also go with TT or AQ. The closer that I am to 8th, the tighter my range needs to be. Knowing how many chips the other stacks have is crucial information for setting a range of hands to be playing.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jul 11, 2014, 11:40 AM
(#3)
Since: Mar 2011
Ok thanks BTW the 9-12 have more chips then me like 8th & 9th had around 5k chips this time.

Old
Fri Jul 11, 2014, 12:03 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
When playing satellites, I want to be picking on the shorter stacks, not playing against someone that can take me out. If I'm up against a larger stack, then I need to have a hand that will be a prohibitive favorite at showdown... which 66 is not, especially against multiple opps.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com