Please review this hand - Mon Jul 14, 2014, 08:41 AM
(#1)
Since: May 2014

Played on a regular freeroll

Old
Mon Jul 14, 2014, 10:08 AM
(#2)
Since: Apr 2013
This is playing readless, without any knowledge on how villain plays. I don't think that raising the flop is best. I think that on the flop you should call his bet instead of raising, as he will fold his junk and more than likely continue with a stronger range. For instance, if villain 3bets preflop with KQ, then when he bets the flop, you can call dominating his hand, and get potential value on later streets when villain is holding worse; however, by raising the flop, villain could fold his dominated hand, believing that you can beat TPTK, TPGK, etc.

To me it doesn't look like stacks are shallow enough to go all-in on the flop.

I would like to know what others think. My background is cash games.

Matt

Old
Mon Jul 14, 2014, 10:59 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Once again... how was this opp playing? This will be my decision maker as to what I do in the hand.

If the opp was raising a lot and defending their blinds a high % of the time (not good for them), then I'm re-raising preflop and raising to 390.

If the opp was not raising very much at all, then I'll flat and see a flop.

On the flop, the opp bets 1/2 pot. This bet DOES price out all draws, so I'm just going to flat and re-evaluate on the turn. Yes, I have TPTK, but I have ONE pair and I don't want to get it in and over-value a one pair hand. this is a huge leak that many players have and one that I need to avoid.

What I absolutely do not want to do is to make an abnormally large raise that pot-commits me and not shove. Whenever playing a standard tourney (non league, not satty), whenever 1/3 of my chips go into the middle, I absolutely MUST shove, as I cannot ever fold later in the hand. If I cannot fold, then all my chips need to go into the middle.

John (JWK24)

P.S. @Pullin - when playing tourneys, they are just as much about chip preservation as they are about gaining chips, so I do not want to get it in early unless I have a premium made hand and AK is only ace high. It's not a made hand and on the flop, it's only one pair and I also do not want to get it in and over-value one pair.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com