Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Beluga Fish Theorem

Old
Exclamation
Beluga Fish Theorem - Tue Jul 15, 2014, 06:47 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2011
This is my own version of Beluga Theorem you can call it "PEIXE THEOREM"

These are some golden rules I deduced after being in a same situation multiple times with same kind of opponents over last 1 year.

So this rules only applies to micro stakes recs or fishes or whatever you like to call them whose nature is Loose preflop/Passive postflop.

1. They are not capable of 4-betting light preflop
  2. They are not capable of min check-raising as a bluff
  3. They will never ever check-raise on river with worst then a top two pair or set
  4. They are not capable of min-raising as a bluff on any street
  5. Pot bets and over-bets are only 4% bluff on any street

That doesn't mean every opponent will play like that but I can say 80% of the times you will be correct if you follow these rules. I know it's tough to laydown big hands like sets or AA against a fish but trust me you will not regret.

If you want to test these rules than everytime you see someone doing this just goto showdown no mattter what, you will see 85% of the time that they had you beat. Do this 100 times then come back to this thread & share what they actually showed up with when they did any of the above 4 plays.

PS: Maybe 1 out of 10 times they will bluff you with this min check raise line. But 9 out of 10 times you will be happy that you saved chips.

Last edited by adikumar2010; Tue Jul 15, 2014 at 02:14 PM..

Old
Tue Jul 15, 2014, 02:06 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
These things are true of loose-passive players at all levels, not just micros. (There just happens to be a large volume of this player type in micros)

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jul 22, 2014, 10:44 AM
(#3)
One more addition :

3. They will never ever check-raise on river with worst then a top two pair or set
  6. There is no point in bluffing a fish coz they don't care if there is flush on the board or one card straight. They have AA "how can I fold AA are you stupid..that's what they say". So don't try to bluff over pairs or TPTK, no matter how ugly the board is you can't BLUFF them.

Old
Tue Jul 22, 2014, 01:22 PM
(#4)
Since: Apr 2013
Spot on stuff. Is this through observation, or have you analysed your database?

If it is through analysing your database, how do you go about summarising the data?

Cheers,

Matt

Old
Tue Jul 22, 2014, 01:36 PM
(#5)
This is observation and storing the data in my brain. Plus you can look for such data in your tracking software but I am not expert in it. You can search for it. I am sure there must be some way to check from stats.

Old
Thu Jul 24, 2014, 07:29 AM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2014
BronzeStar
I also find it interesting that as much as we get belittle other players for fulfilling items on this list, many of us probably are the same. I know I am guilty of over valuing top pair.

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jul 25, 2014, 12:09 PM
(#7)
One more addition :

6. There is no point in bluffing a fish coz they don't care if there is flush on the board or one card straight. They have AA "how can I fold AA are you stupid..that's what they say". So don't try to bluff over pairs or TPTK, no matter how ugly the board is you can't BLUFF them.
  7. Whenever you have a big hand or you flop monster and the opponent is raising you just shove into them they will call you just with top pair, whereas if you 3-bet you will lose value to turn and river scare cards. Just shove 100BB if you have AA KK on a dry board if you face resistance. Shoving accomplish very very light calls and more value rather then 3-betting or 4-betting plus by 3 or 4-betting you give away your hand even to a big fish as they do get scared

Old
Wed Aug 20, 2014, 12:09 PM
(#8)
One more new addition :

1. If they min re-raise (3-bet) over your preflop open, then 8/10 times they will have , , and are crying for action.
  2. They are not capable of 4-betting light preflop.
  3. They are not capable of min check-raising as a bluff.
  4. They will never ever check-raise on river with worst then a top two pair or set.
  5. They are not capable of min-raising as a bluff on any street.
  6. Pot bets and over-bets are only 4% bluff on any street.
  7. There is no point in bluffing a fish coz they don't care if there is flush on the board or one card straight. They have AA "how can I fold AA are you stupid..that's what they say". So don't try to bluff over pairs or TPTK, no matter how ugly the board is you can't BLUFF them.
  8. Whenever you have a big hand or you flop monster and the opponent is raising you just shove into them they will call you just with top pair, whereas if you 3-bet you will lose value to turn and river scare cards. Just shove 100BB if you have AA KK on a dry board if you face resistance. Shoving accomplish very very light calls and more value rather then 3-betting or 4-betting plus by 3 or 4-betting you give away your hand strength even to a big fish as they do get scared.

Old
Mon Dec 29, 2014, 12:20 AM
(#9)
One more new addition :

1. If they min re-raise (3-bet) over your preflop open, then 8/10 times they will have , , and are crying for action.
  2. They are not capable of 4-betting light preflop.
  3. They are not capable of min check-raising as a bluff.
  4. They will rarely check-raise on river with worst then a top two pair or set. Atmost 1/30 times it could be a bluff.
  5. They are not capable of min-raising as a bluff on any street.
  6. Pot bets and over-bets are only 4% bluff on any street.
  7. There is no point in bluffing a fish coz they don't care if there is flush on the board or one card straight. They have AA "how can I fold AA are you stupid..that's what they say". So don't try to bluff over pairs or TPTK, no matter how ugly the board is you can't BLUFF them.
  8. Whenever you have a big hand or you flop monster and the opponent is raising you just shove into them they will call you just with top pair, whereas if you 3-bet you will lose value to turn and river scare cards. Just shove 100BB if you have AA KK on a dry board if you face resistance. Shoving accomplish very very light calls and more value rather then 3-betting or 4-betting plus by 3 or 4-betting you give away your hand strength even to a big fish as they do get scared.

Old
Mon Dec 29, 2014, 12:34 AM
(#10)
Since: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by adikumar2010 View Post
They will rarely check-raise on river with worst then a top two pair or set. Atmost 1/30 times it could be a bluff.
no.4 sounds about right but sometimes they do this. Wonder what he can have? lol

Old
Mon Dec 29, 2014, 02:32 AM
(#11)
Since: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewj50050 View Post
no.4 sounds about right but sometimes they do this. Wonder what he can have? lol

7T followed by a bluff. But the basis of the strategy is a frontal lobotomy about 6 months before playing.

Old
Mon Dec 29, 2014, 12:20 PM
(#12)
Since: Jan 2013
This is a hand vs an unknown and happened to show up with QQ.

On the river i see players slow playing flushes on the turn and never folding trip Ks so i just go all in.

You should add to your list vs passive fish because i see plenty of players min 3betting pairs AQ/KQ and since the equity shows up when everyone is all in i see some fish ripping it in with all pairs now after i 3b them not to mention lots of players 3 betting my 2.5x BU open and calling my 4b with Kxs Axs and all sorts of other junk they think they can get away with.

Old
Mon Dec 29, 2014, 12:33 PM
(#13)
Your off topic this thread is created for spots where we should fold vs strength or times we do call but we should fold or times when the opponent bluffs on that rare occasion to show there are actually exceptions to the above pointers Adi listed. This is hand where you get value vs a hero caller. He is only calling vs a bluff or a big hand.. polarised

Old
Mon Dec 29, 2014, 12:40 PM
(#14)
Since: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewj50050 View Post
Your off topic this thread is created for spots where we should fold vs strength or times we do call but we should fold or times when the opponent bluffs on that rare occasion to show there are actually exceptions to the above pointers Adi listed. This is hand where you get value vs a hero caller. He is only calling vs a bluff or a big hand.. polarised

Rule number 7 says do not bluff the fish and my hand i posted shows exactly why you do not bluff fish. I would never ever bluff that river even if i did have some wide bluffing range on the flop that barreled that turn.

Old
Mon Dec 29, 2014, 12:49 PM
(#15)
Fair point sorry.. i am more interested in spots where there should be a big fold/tough fold or a call that should be a fold or when there is an exception and he doesn't have the goods (less than 10% of the time) because the betting line mainly would represent strength this is a good thread.

Old
Mon Dec 29, 2014, 05:40 PM
(#16)
Since: Sep 2010
Nice example. Youd think he would have folded when he saw the K and your raise.... but there ya go.

Old
Tue Aug 25, 2015, 10:18 PM
(#18)
Since: Oct 2011
Quote:
[*]They are not capable of min check-raising as a bluff
I see bad players do that quite often. I never see regs do it.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Sep 03, 2015, 04:27 AM
(#19)
Since: Feb 2013
Quote:
One more new addition :

[B]
I think this is debatable, most fish min 3bet with mediocore hands (no data, just a feeling).

Old
Sat Oct 15, 2016, 08:21 PM
(#20)
New List :

1. Huge preflop opens like 4x to 10x are usually very good hands like 88+ AQ+, very rare it will be speculative or trashy hands.
  2. If they min re-raise (3-bet) over your preflop open, then 8/10 times they will have , , and are crying for action.
  3. They are not capable of 4-betting light preflop.
  4. They are not capable of min check-raising as a bluff.
  5. They will rarely check-raise on river with worst then a top two pair or set. Atmost 1/30 times it could be a bluff.
  6. They are not capable of min-raising as a bluff on any street.
  7. Pot bets and over-bets are only 4% bluff on any street. Specially if opponent bets 80% pot or more on river it's more likely to be a value hand.
  8. If opponent bets weird amount where he has to use keyboard to type in the numbers then it's likely to be a bluff coz if he had a value hand he would not care to press keys he would instead just layback and use custom bet slider & makes clicks using mouse lazily.
  9. If you are preflop raiser, you c-bet flop it gets called, on turn you again bet it gets called and on river all of a sudden opponent donks into you just fold coz he will show you very big hand 19/20 times (he might have flopped set or he made stupid 2 pairs on the river or backdoor flush/straight)
  10. When you are the preflop raise and then opponent check/calls flop and then decides to donk into you on turn he might be scared coz there is possible backdoor flush or straight coming and he usually has top 2 pair hand or better which he is trying to protect
    Or if he decides to donk into you on river after check/calling every street he certainly has a big hand and don't want to miss out on value.
  11. There is no point in bluffing a fish coz they don't care if there is flush on the board or one card straight. They have AA "how can I fold AA are you stupid..that's what they say". So don't try to bluff over pairs or TPTK, no matter how ugly the board is you can't BLUFF them.
  12. Whenever you have a big hand or you flop monster and the opponent is raising you just shove into them they will call you just with top pair, whereas if you raise & then they call, you will lose value as turn and river might be scare cards for them. Just shove 100BB if you have AA KK or set on a dry board if you face resistance. Shoving accomplish very very light calls and more value rather then re-rasing or 3-betting plus by 3 or 4-betting you give away your hand strength even to a big blind fish as they do get scared sometimes.

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com