Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Thoughts on late stages MTT hand

Old
Thoughts on late stages MTT hand - Thu Jul 17, 2014, 12:46 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2010
This was from a 1.10 NL MTT last night.

We're down to 47 players from an original 1380.

I have built a good TAG image for myself at this table.

The raiser in this pot has been putting pressure on the blinds which they should be given their stack. I have noticed a wide opening range for this player.

I have also shown a willingness to shove (QQ was seen by everyone here about 20 hands prior).

My thought process here was that I wanted to make sure I double this hand up and also disguise my play a little as well.

My feeling is that if I shoved here preflop, he is likely going to call given his chip stack and his hand.

I guess my question is this. Yes I have about 13 or so BB and normally this would dictate raise or fold mode. But was I completely wrong with playing this hand the way I did?

Old
Thu Jul 17, 2014, 02:46 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
**moved to more appropriate forum JWK24**

I'm going to jam this preflop. If for some reason I did see the flop, I need to lead it.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jul 17, 2014, 03:14 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Fist-pump jam pre imo. I don't like flatting pre here because 1) you're giving his entire range a free shot at busting you, and 2) it leaves a bit of an awkward stack for post flop play.

As played I like check-shoving better than leading otf, we can get a c-bet out of his air this way.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jul 17, 2014, 03:46 PM
(#4)
Since: Feb 2010
the hand replayer is blank for me for some reason.

Old
Thu Jul 17, 2014, 03:47 PM
(#5)
I can definitely see why you both would say pre-flop jam. I had done the same with QQ about 20 hands earlier. I guess this brings up a question though. Say that I shove, I would expect a call from this hand given stack sizes. Would you have called the shove if I were to come back over the top given stack sizes?

Old
Thu Jul 17, 2014, 03:50 PM
(#6)
That's odd Steve. Anyway since that's the case. I had KK in the BB, blinds at 1200/2400. I have 34K, button has 215K.

Button does min raise with what ends up being Ac6s. I call for some deception. Flop comes 765 with two diamonds. I check, raiser puts in 5500, I come over the top for last 29K, they call. Hit an ace on turn.

Old
Thu Jul 17, 2014, 04:17 PM
(#7)
Since: Feb 2010
yea horrid river for you,tbh im never limping there with 13bb, but i would rather jam, 13bb is a good shoving size, i dont mind him calling 11bb with A6, as the saying goes "you got em in good" and there is also the slight chance he folds and you pick an extra 2 1/2 bb .
but a jam pre all day for me.

Old
Thu Jul 17, 2014, 05:46 PM
(#8)
Since: Jun 2014
IMO stop and go looks like a good thing to do, given the background.

As Villain would call your preflop shove - esp because not too many hands are so behind that he has to definitely fold. If he misses the flop, the fold equity would go up for him. I like this play, given you were going to shove on flop regardless of what came up.

Old
Thu Jul 17, 2014, 05:59 PM
(#9)
Well Kumar, I had what I felt was a good read on this player. He had been raising often given his stack and rightfully so. I felt like he at least had an ace. If an ace came on the flop, I would have had to decide if he really had an ace or not. I mean I definitely see the merits of shoving here. Truth be told though, I am really not too disappointed with how I played this hand. Given I was trying to do some deception, which I did and as anti said in their post, I got em in good. End of the day that's all I can really do.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com