Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Brags, Beats and Variance /

i don't know...

Old
i don't know... - Thu Jul 17, 2014, 05:41 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2014
have been playing more in sit n' go's lately but yesterday and today i got back to play some tiny cash tables... i really tightened up a lot, almost only playing high pairs, AK and AQ. interesting is the amount of times my premium hands got beaten. although the amount of hands played (around 400 total) isn't representative, it gives a good idea of what i mean (sorry for that crappy format, the editor doesn't respect spaces and i couldn't find how to insert a table):

played won_at_sd won_preflop lost
AA 0 0 0 0
KK 1 0 0 1
QQ 1 1 0 0
JJ 4 0 3 1
AK 10 0 6 4
AQ 9 2 2 5

i'm really surprised how often i got beaten with these hands by inferior hands. what i'm going for is not actually the bad beats individually, there's always a percentage for this to happen, but the global percentage of lost premium hands... this really didn't happen that way when i played sit n' go's... i almost get to the conclusion that it's either win preflop o just automatically fold on the flop.

don't want to replay all hands here, just the kings is a nice one:

Old
Thu Jul 17, 2014, 05:58 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi koma951!

The reason for this one is that the hand is misplayed. With KK, I need to be re-raising preflop, then bet the flop. When 4 to a straight hits on the turn, I can't put another chip into the pot.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Jul 18, 2014, 11:39 AM
(#3)
thanks for your answer!

i see your point, and would have been doing exactly that in this case, here's the reasons why i didn't:
  • the other guy would have come in anyway
  • we already were heads up
  • i really had lost at that point the believe that more money in the pot preflop would do me any good

the most relevant reason is actually the last one, my premium hands just had lost so many pots the last two sessions (by getting drawn out), i just couldn't get that fact off my mind (and it turned out to be true, again).

you're absolutely right about the 4- straight on the turn, that really was me being stupid going on...

i did though because i was quite sure i had to put him on a pair preflop, from what i've seen before. so in the end i really had doubts he wouldn't just have an overpair lower to mine (hence the check for the queen, i actually figured he might have queens). turned out to be tens, he made a mistake on the flop calling my 1/2 pot bet with 6 outs, but hey, he made it anyhow...

well, let's say it were two really weird sessions, with backdoor flushes, straights and that kind of stuff when i got to have good cards.

Old
Lightbulb
Fri Jul 18, 2014, 04:25 PM
(#4)
Since: Aug 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by koma951 View Post
thanks for your answer!

i see your point, and would have been doing exactly that in this case, here's the reasons why i didn't:
  • the other guy would have come in anyway
  • we already were heads up
  • i really had lost at that point the believe that more money in the pot preflop would do me any good

the most relevant reason is actually the last one, my premium hands just had lost so many pots the last two sessions (by getting drawn out), i just couldn't get that fact off my mind (and it turned out to be true, again).

you're absolutely right about the 4- straight on the turn, that really was me being stupid going on...

i did though because i was quite sure i had to put him on a pair preflop, from what i've seen before. so in the end i really had doubts he wouldn't just have an overpair lower to mine (hence the check for the queen, i actually figured he might have queens). turned out to be tens, he made a mistake on the flop calling my 1/2 pot bet with 6 outs, but hey, he made it anyhow...

well, let's say it were two really weird sessions, with backdoor flushes, straights and that kind of stuff when i got to have good cards.

Before you play another hand of poker I strongly suggest that you do some research/studying/learning to understand WHY the 3 reasons that you gave for not re-raising pre-flop are massively flawed reasoning. All 3 thoughts are serious leaks and will cost you a lot more money than all the bad beats in the world.

One hint to point you in the right direction...3 words...results oriented thinking.

Old
Fri Jul 18, 2014, 11:56 PM
(#5)
thanks for your comments!

i've been upset because of losing my really great hands to inferior ones a lot at that time. i do get your point, and normally play by it, just in this particular situation i lost faith in my good starting hands and thought: "wth, i'll loose that hand anyhow, why bother getting more money in there...". clearly i have to make money out of the great hands and to get money into the pot a reraise preflop would have been the way to go here...

cards are running better now, i'd say the bad run is over for now, never had one that long though...

thanks again guys for taking the time and respond, great forum!

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com