Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Small/middle unsuited aces from BB

Old
Small/middle unsuited aces from BB - Fri Jul 18, 2014, 09:51 AM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2011
Hey guys,

So just wondering about a general spot. I play 10NL 6max.

Lets say hero is in BB with A8o, BU opens and he has ~40% steal range from the button, and calls 3bets kinda light.

Right now in this spot I am calling and seeing a flop. Because folding is too weak, and raising just bloats the pot and gets you in tough post flop spots. But unsuited middle aces don't play that well post flop, and its gonna be tough to realize your equity out of position.

We have ~52% equity with A8o vs a 40% open range. But we are out of position, and MAYBE have a slight skill edge.

Against villains that will be aggressive post flop and put us in tough spots more often maybe this could fall into our 3bet bluff range with the ace blocker, but i still don't feel great about that play. Because when we get called, even when we hit an ace we can easily be behind.

Against passive post flop villains of course it makes it much easier to just flat and have a decent spot at realizing your equity.

Whats the standard play here vs a 10NL unknown?
Is anything i said here way off base?

Edit: But only ~49% equity with A6o, so i guess we have to 3bet or fold A6o or worse.

Id like to hear your thoughts of this spot, its not super tough, but just wondering if my logic is correct and id like different perspectives

Thanks for any feedback

GL at the tables

Silken218

Old
Fri Jul 18, 2014, 12:49 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
It's going to depend on their fold vs. 3B. It's also going to depend on how well you can play post flop.

Here's my general tendencies in the BB vs. a 40%+ button steal... (@10NL and lower) I prefer 3 betting at the lower stakes because I don't trust players post flop play. I also like to have the initiative when playing OOP.

This is just one of MANY, MANY, MANY, strategies.

3B for Value
77+, A9s+, ATo+

3B Light
33-22, Q9s, J8s+, T7s+, 96s+, 85s+, 75s+, QTo+, JTo

Call
66-44, A8s-A4s, KTs+, QTs+, A9o-A8o, KQo

Old
Sat Jul 19, 2014, 05:47 PM
(#3)
Since: Dec 2011
Coolio, thanks for the reply

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com