Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Small Blind too big for Big Blind Question

Old
Small Blind too big for Big Blind Question - Mon Jul 21, 2014, 09:43 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2014
Dear Mates,

I have a question in mind regarding the small blind and the big blind. I also 'think' I have the answer, but I am not sure. Can some experienced players or staff help me out here please?

Here's the scenario for a NLHE game starting a brand new hand:

Seat 1: Dealer (300 USD)
Seat 2: SB (700 USD)
Seat 3: BB (250 USD)
Seat 4: (1650 USD)

Assuming (forget the rules of good play for the moment), the SB plays ALL-IN during his bet. That is, SB pushes in 700 USD. Now, I read that BB must match or put in greater than what the SB has put in. That means, BB must put in at least 700 USD or above.

However, BB only has 250 USD. What is he supposed to do?

Here are 2 options:

1. BB pushes in all 250USD (even though it cannot match SB, it is still valid under rules) and the game proceeds as usual.

2. SB is asked to REDUCE the original bet until it matches the chips of BB. that means, SB is asked to put in a maximum of 250 USD - the figure that BB can put in.

Please can someone help me understand what scenario will be followed here?

Thanks and Regards

Cheers!

Old
Mon Jul 21, 2014, 10:24 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigohellb View Post
Seat 1: Dealer (300 USD)
Seat 2: SB (700 USD)
Seat 3: BB (250 USD)
Seat 4: (1650 USD)

2. SB is asked to REDUCE the original bet until it matches the chips of BB. that means, SB is asked to put in a maximum of 250 USD - the figure that BB can put in.

If seats 4 and 1 fold, then the SB gets to pull back the extra 450. There will then be 500 total in the pot that the blinds are playing for.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com