Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Habitual Button Raiser - 2NL Cash Game Hand

Old
Habitual Button Raiser - 2NL Cash Game Hand - Thu Jul 24, 2014, 01:13 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2014
this guy raise the button 2 times in a row, is my raise OTF is correct? or just call?
http://www.boomplayer.com/en/poker-h...289_7DA905A0D5

Last edited by royalraise85; Thu Jul 24, 2014 at 05:36 AM.. Reason: Inserted Boom Hand

Old
Thu Jul 24, 2014, 03:25 AM
(#2)
Since: Feb 2013
The fact that he often bet from BTN is just a sign of a thinking player...

Defending your blind with A4o is deffo an possibility but I would 3bet bigger. The 10 extra will always be called by hands that beat you, and only be folded by hands that do not. You are filtering out the worst part of his range now

Old
Thu Jul 24, 2014, 05:42 AM
(#3)
Since: Apr 2013
If you are going to defend against the button you should be thinking either to 3bet or fold as your are OOP in the hand. Calling, especially with this hand in the blinds against a BTN raise will be -ev, especially for begginers at least. It is not going to be nice postflop if you just call the btn's raise preflop when sat in the blinds, as you will be OOP of position and won't have the initiative.

Raise on the flop correct? not sure to be honest.

If you call, you will keep the worse hands in villains range on the turn. By raising, villain will potentially fold out his worse hands and only continue with better. If you are doing it as a bluff hoping to take down the pot there and then and not want to play further streets then I guess you could, but if he continues I am folding for sure.

Cheers,

Matt

Old
Thu Jul 24, 2014, 06:23 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2014
thanks

Old
Thu Jul 24, 2014, 07:41 AM
(#5)
Since: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by pullin1988 View Post
If you are going to defend against the button you should be thinking either to 3bet or fold as your are OOP in the hand. Calling, especially with this hand in the blinds against a BTN raise will be -ev, especially for begginers at least. It is not going to be nice postflop if you just call the btn's raise preflop when sat in the blinds, as you will be OOP of position and won't have the initiative.

Raise on the flop correct? not sure to be honest.

If you call, you will keep the worse hands in villains range on the turn. By raising, villain will potentially fold out his worse hands and only continue with better. If you are doing it as a bluff hoping to take down the pot there and then and not want to play further streets then I guess you could, but if he continues I am folding for sure.

Cheers,

Matt

Funny, the handreplayer shows a totally different situation to me. I saw a min 3bet pre...ergo my remark: 3bet bigger

I now see the same hand as Matt, and agree strongly that flatcalling from SB with A4o is a bad idea.
Its a useless hand most of the time that is easily dominated by other Ax and you are OOP.

I wouldnt raise on the flop eighter. So basically: listen to Matt

Old
Thu Jul 24, 2014, 08:59 AM
(#6)
Since: Apr 2013
Hang on - lol

I now see a min 3bet. rkleefstra I think you are right. If you did min 3bet ignore what I have said.

Something weird is happening to the replayer - lol

Cheers,

Matt

Old
Thu Jul 24, 2014, 02:43 PM
(#7)
Since: Sep 2011
Either 3bet the hand or fold, but don't call. That said, as the games are very passive @ 2nl, I would rather fold the hand anyway. However, I think you played it quite well. As said, make the raise bigger if you find yourself in that situation again.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com