Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

small donk bet on the river: weak or trap???

Old
small donk bet on the river: weak or trap??? - Thu Jul 24, 2014, 03:44 AM
(#1)
Since: May 2014
I didn't play a lot of hand with both of my opponents but at the beginning of the hand I was able to say that they were both weak players and that on the flop they were using a fit or fold strategy.

on the flop, I bet even though I had poorly connected with the board in order to gain the chips in the middle. Both player call, at this point I know that I'm beated but the turn gave more equity so I decided to shoot a second barrel. The river card give me the straight but the first opponent donk bet on me.

I know that a lot of player use this strategy to induced a bet with the nut. Having the second best possible hand on the table I decide to call and not raise.

After the hand, I look back at what happen and I think that the 79 combination is pretty rare on that board. I have one 7 in my hand, and because of the bet on the flop I think that the only 79 that would not have fold would be the 7c9c which make that hand less possible. In conclusion, I should have raise.

Do you have some advice on those type of bet?

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com