Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

The Big 2.20 AKo OOP

Old
The Big 2.20 AKo OOP - Thu Jul 24, 2014, 09:09 AM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2014

The villain had VPIP/PFR of 67/29 from about 40 hands I had on him. He had been winning a lot of pots uncontested by making huge bets on turn and river. So, when I hit AK I thought time for revenge has come.

But looking back I wonder if I could have got carried away during the hand. Do you any misses in how I played this?

Old
Thu Jul 24, 2014, 10:25 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi KumarLuv,

Yes, I think you got carried away a bit here.

Preflop isolation raise is good. Our continuation bet on the flop is way too large. This villain has been maniac like thus far, so I would expect his limp/calling range preflop to include a lot of Jx, 9x, and 4x, as well as a large number of hands that completely miss this board, like 76, K5, etc. This guy is probably not folding any connection to the board. And, while he will fold non-connections, we are beating those anyway with AK high. I would tend to check behind this guy on the flop. It seems likely we need to make a hand vs. him. If we do bet, that's okay too, but the c-bet should be much smaller imo... something like 420 is plenty to protect our equity vs. his missed hands, and probably also buy us a free card on the turn if he doesn't fold, so we can see both the turn and river for a nominal price when he's out flopped us.

As played, check the turn behind him and give up on the river if you don't improve. You bet 75% pot on the flop, a huge c-bet, and he check/called it... so he's got something and is not folding. You're basically just bluffing on the turn here, against an opponent who doesn't fold anything of value no matter how weak (like 4th pair). Preserve your 20bb stack and tighten up a bit for the next 2-3 orbits, if you pick up a hand again there's a very good chance this guy will be giving you action for it.

Tweet this hand on Twitter using the Tweet button above for a chance to win a seat in the next $5,000 guaranteed Big Bang tournament. You MUST include #LearnPoker and @PokerStarsPSO in your tweet. Winners will be notified by email every Monday. Good luck!

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Last edited by TheLangolier; Thu Jul 24, 2014 at 02:44 PM.. Reason: adding twitter promo

Old
Thu Jul 24, 2014, 03:49 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2014
ah, it sounds so easy when you put it that way!

At the table, I was thinking he is raising with anything under the sun, how do I range such a villain!

Thanks for your input, Dave.

~luv

Old
Thu Jul 24, 2014, 04:15 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KumarLuv View Post
At the table, I was thinking he is raising with anything under the sun, how do I range such a villain!
Well, villain didn't raise here.

Practice, and you'll get better at it. You might want to look at the ranges in an equity calculator that includes an exclusion bar, to help get a better visual picture of the range. After you look at enough different situations you'll naturally get better at ranging them.

For instance, I used the equity calculator that comes with PT4 to look at this one's preflop range... includes 67% (VPIP) and excludes 29% (PFR excluded as he did not raise):

Notice it's not perfect/precise just plugging in the %'s (his actual holding A4o it has in his raising range as excluded, but it is at the bottom of that range so some overlap is normal there). But it will help to give you a reasonable visual on things.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Jul 24, 2014, 09:49 PM
(#5)
Since: Sep 2011
"So, when I hit AK I thought time for revenge has come."

One advice stop thinking like this, what is this poker or some bar thing? (For long time i think the same like you)

Anyway versus this type of players you want to make you hand and then just bet bet bet shove

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com