Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

The Big $11 Tournament - I feel like shoving?

Old
The Big $11 Tournament - I feel like shoving? - Thu Jul 24, 2014, 04:35 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2011
It's Big $11 with 10mins slow blind level.

I thought I should take my chances but I was sure original raiser will not fold my best possibility will be if I am up against two over cards and one small pair. And that's what they showed up with.

Regardless of the results, during that hand it was a tough shove to make into 3 players. What should I have done? Anyways as you can see I chicken out.

The preflop raiser stats deceived me this time as I thought he will have a decent hand like 88+ or AQs+ since he unusually 3x'ed with his 15BB baby stack, where he sould be really jamming all hands. This usually sometimes is AA when a baby stack is min raising instead of going all-in but that's not always true I see people min raising 5 BB stack and folding on the flop

Micro stakes player do all kind of stupid stuff that HUD stats are sometimes unrealiable plus these player never take a standard line.

STATS :

Old
Thu Jul 24, 2014, 06:46 PM
(#2)
Since: May 2011
I feel like shoving in this spot. Then stop and think about why and what will it achieve?

Fold equity to get heads up with the player who shoved. Is it worth 1/2 our stack?
But what about the original raiser. Are they raise folding 15bb or calling off anyway?
Then there is the player who called the open raise and completes the action are they calling off too?

Well I don't fancy 99 4-way. How about the possibility of 3-way? And so on, heads up yes. After all that pondering and not being able to guarantee the preferred outcome I'd probably fold.

Just my opinion and often wrong.

Old
Thu Jul 24, 2014, 09:39 PM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2011
For me is a snap fold. Why? just look at what Forrest write, so much action and we have 27bb stack no need to risk so much money regardless of they stats i am folding this in this situation like 100% of time maybe 1010 and JJ to.

Just my opinion hope some pro guy will confirm it

Old
Sat Jul 26, 2014, 03:04 AM
(#4)
Since: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by adikumar2010 View Post
The preflop raiser stats deceived me this time as I thought he will have a decent hand like 88+ or AQs+ since he unusually 3x'ed with his 15BB baby stack, where he sould be really jamming all hands. This usually sometimes is AA when a baby stack is min raising instead of going all-in but that's not always true I see people min raising 5 BB stack and folding on the flop

Micro stakes player do all kind of stupid stuff that HUD stats are sometimes unrealiable plus these player never take a standard line.
I typically don't give unusual 3x raises from fish too much credit. In my experience, choosing a larger raise size than normal is a sign of vulnerability, they want to leverage extra fold equity. So it's often with a fairly strong but vulnerable hand, like low-to-med PPs, AQ/AJ, KQ, stuff like that.

Going back to the hand, if you could guarantee being heads up with the 3Bettor, then I'd shove. However I think in a lot of scenarios, we'll end up at least 3way and sometimes even 4way where 99 doesn't perform so well.

I think this is close but I'd probably just wait for a clearer spot as you still have a healthy stack.

If you think you're being outplayed by the player pool, then that could be a reason to shove and take a more marginal spot to try accumulate chips.

Tweet this hand on Twitter using the Tweet button above for a chance to win a seat in the next $5,000 guaranteed Big Bang tournament. You MUST include #LearnPoker and @PokerStarsPSO in your tweet. Winners will be notified by email every Monday. Good luck!

Old
Thu Aug 07, 2014, 01:39 AM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2010
lol baby stacks hahahaha

I think its a good fold if the other guy didnt shove I would probably shove there

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com