Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

SNG 0.5$ bad play or bad beat?

Old
SNG 0.5$ bad play or bad beat? - Sat Jul 26, 2014, 04:34 AM
(#1)
Since: May 2011

Hello. Being beaten twice in same situations, it is correct to ask is that correct play or I do something wrong?

Old
Sat Jul 26, 2014, 06:12 AM
(#2)
Since: May 2014
in the first situation u should have go all in pre flop since the first raise is more than 1/3 of your stack.
in the second many would tell k- j is not good enough to call a rasie, if u did decided to call the raise u should proceed with caution specially when there is a pair on the board' u should have checked the turn u do not want to put all ypur chips in the middle unless u sure u r ahead

Old
Sat Jul 26, 2014, 07:16 AM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2010
(Moderator)
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline De1Eva

Here is a link to help familiarize you with all the features and services available at PSO. Feel free to look around the forum and post any comments or questions you may have.

You are invited to join the PokerSchoolOnline Community Home Games Club. Information on how to join the club may be found HERE. Hope to see you there!

Good luck at the tables.

Old
Sat Jul 26, 2014, 10:45 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi De1Eva!

dduvshani's correct. The first hand is an open-shove. Anytime I have to put over 1/3 of my chips into the pot in a tournament, I'm pot-committed and cannot fold later in the hand. When this is the case, I need to shove.

In the second one, while KJs is strong enough to open-raise with from this position, it's not strong enough to call a raise with... so it needs to be mucked preflop.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jul 27, 2014, 02:51 AM
(#5)
Since: May 2011
Hi John and dduvshani!
Thanks a lot for your replies!
I absolutely agree about first hand. It's mistake obviously.

About second one, it was fairly pity to muck that hand preflop in 0.5$ sng when one often play loose.
So, if I called and flopped J99 (I recognize a mistake ) and it's top pair with a good kicker do I have to fold on any bet?

Old
Sun Jul 27, 2014, 09:45 AM
(#6)
Since: Oct 2011
I agree with dduv and JWK about pre-flop. As played, you got unlucky post-flop, as you were a big favourite when all the money went in.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jul 27, 2014, 07:04 PM
(#7)
Since: Mar 2013
Your stack is good enough to fold the first hand,unless its suited KQ it is a shove.With the second hand with 3.5 raise its fold again unless the raise is smaler its a good one to call big stacked.When the mistake is do ne already You dont have too much flops that can make You continue play this hand.Too much draws ,even the king doesnt make that strong enough.no matter the hands You see Your opponents hold at showdown this is definetely a bad play.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com