Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

POKER EDUCATION advice needed.

Old
POKER EDUCATION advice needed. - Sat Jul 26, 2014, 10:02 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2012
Hi, I am a small stakes player, I've played for years not really attempting to learn I mean I've known how to play since I was about 12 but now Im a university student looking to actually improve my game and be able to move up in stakes and play some bigger tournaments etc...

I'm using the pokerbites on here, reading books etc I just want some advice from some other players?

Im currently reading 'The mammoth book of POKER' by paul mendelson which is a good read, some other books such as 'win big online' etc which are smaller books, are there any others that I should definitely be reading?

I'm quite a driven and committed person who will put the work in I would just like a real strong piece of advice in how to pick up my game?

Thanks a lot!

Old
Sat Jul 26, 2014, 10:51 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi stefansmith1!

I'd start with the video archive here and concentrate on the basic theory vids and then either tourney or cash games.. whichever you prefer. Until you get a number of the basics down, a number of the better books won't be as helpful... because they assume that you already know basic strategy and the math behind them.

Once you can get the basics down, then there are a number of good books that I'd be happy to recommend.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Jul 26, 2014, 11:01 AM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2012
Hi, thanks for your reply.

Im not a total beginner, I know the basic math and theory behind it e.g. pot odds, equity etc...

I'd be happy for you to recommend some books if you could?

How serious do you play??

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com