Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Semi-Bluff flop for free river card worth it?

Old
Semi-Bluff flop for free river card worth it? - Sat Jul 26, 2014, 01:06 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2014
Hello all,

So recently I have been reading "The Theory of Poker" (great book so far, I'd recommend it to any level players).

In this book it mentions making a semi-bluff re-raise, in position, on the flop to take the initiative so that on the turn it will check round to you who then can check for a free river card.

Although I understand that free cards are very valuable and this would give you a good way of getting one. Also, you are in position and have the initiative so you are in a very strong situation.

But my question is: is this a profitable play? would this not greatly decrease your implied odds as the re-raise would make you look like you have a strong hand and the draw so surely whenever you hit an out on the turn/river any further action would scare away the villain?
Or perhaps this might be a situation where you get what you can when you hit and when you don't, if another draw hits (that you don't have) it puts you in a very good bluffing situation?

BluffyRabbit

Old
Sat Jul 26, 2014, 02:37 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
(Moderator)
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline BluffyRabbit

Here is a link to help familiarize you with all the features and services available at PSO. Feel free to look around the forum and post any comments or questions you may have.

You are invited to join the PokerSchoolOnline Community Home Games Club. Information on how to join the club may be found HERE. Hope to see you there!

Good luck at the tables.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com