Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2nl Cash Game-Top pair played aggressively for stacks

Old
2nl Cash Game-Top pair played aggressively for stacks - Sun Jul 27, 2014, 01:25 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2014
BronzeStar

I'm mainly an MTT player but I've decided to give cash games a go too, starting obviously at 1/2NL. This was the first table I sat down at and this was the 3rd hand. From looking at what else they were playing, the initial raiser is a reg as he was playing 8 tables, while the rest are definitely fishy. I put in a large 3-bet to try and get the pot heads up but everyone came along resulting in a bloated pot the size of my remaining stack, and then I hit top pair. Is this aggressive play standard in cash games? Not sure if I should be more conservative and this might get me into trouble on a more regular basis!

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jul 27, 2014, 03:46 PM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2011
Standard. If you make TPTK in a 3-bet pot, you can usually commit to getting all in at some point, but here it's fairly trivial to do so immediately, since the multiway pot made the pot roughly the same size as the effective stack.
If you'd missed the flop, I think check-folding would be the regrettable but natural choice, as at least one of the players will have hit the board, so a c-bet has no fold equity.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jul 27, 2014, 03:51 PM
(#3)
BronzeStar
Yes would definitely have check folded if I'd missed. The person shoving with AJ shows what happens if you miss. Was the pre-flop raise too large and overly inflating or again standard? Thanks for the advice!

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jul 27, 2014, 03:59 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2011
Pre-flop is just about ideal. There's 21c in the pot when the action reaches you. To set pot odds of 2:1, you need to make a pot-sized raise, which would mean adding the cost of calling to the current pot, and then adding that to the current bet-size. Adding another couple of blinds because you're out of position and would rather not get called means 36c is just about perfect imo. The initial raiser gets 56:30 on a call, so it's almost 2:1. Once he calls, the others have better odds, but I still think that they should be dumping hands like AJ.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Jul 27, 2014, 04:44 PM
(#5)
BronzeStar
That's great then, they're making mistakes. Thanks for the advice, very educational.

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Jul 29, 2014, 12:41 AM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
** thread moved to Basic Poker Hand Discussions **

2 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com