Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

25NL: QJs Thin Value?

Old
25NL: QJs Thin Value? - Sun Jul 27, 2014, 05:39 PM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2012

Opponent is new to table & short-stacked.

Any concerns with my flop and turn play?

When he checks river, I go for thin value to be called by worse Q or perhaps 8x. Is this ok?

Old
Sun Jul 27, 2014, 07:56 PM
(#2)
Since: May 2011
The villain donks into us and recently I've noticed players doing this with; very strong hands like sets and even nut draws. Not what we generally expect a weak one pair hand. Also to bluff us off our hand.

In this case the villain doesn't seem concerned about the Ace turn? I'm thinking maybe they beat our one pair hand.

So on the river they want showdown now what can we bet for value? Only better will call and we can't beat top pair.

Old
Mon Jul 28, 2014, 01:30 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi carl,

Hand was played fine all the way. The river value bet is definitely thin, but I like how you sized it really small, since we are targeting weak bluff catchers. Checking and showing down is ok too in this spot, it's thin enough that it likely makes little difference either way, but I do think we can eek some value out of worse queens and maybe even worse bluff catchers with the small sizing.

Tweet this hand on Twitter using the Tweet button above for a chance to win a seat in the next $5,000 guaranteed Big Bang tournament. You MUST include #LearnPoker and @PokerStarsPSO in your tweet. Winners will be notified by email every Monday. Good luck!

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com