Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Software & Videos & Literature /

Question About Poker HUDS - Should I Invest?

Old
Question About Poker HUDS - Should I Invest? - Mon Jul 28, 2014, 01:14 PM
(#1)
Since: Dec 2009
BronzeStar
hi, just wanted to ask about huds.is it in my interest to invest in a hud? i know very little about them but some people are saying they give you an edge. anyone have any thoughts on this please?

ty

Old
Mon Jul 28, 2014, 02:16 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
HERE is a link to a video in the archive that Dave did on HUD usage.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Jul 28, 2014, 05:38 PM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2010
It depends on a number of things. What stakes do you play? Will you have to buy a HUD out of your poker bankroll or can you fund it seperately?

The two main ones, Pokertracker 4 and Hold 'em Manager 2 both offer 30-day free trials so you may want to try out one or both of these before committing to making a purchase.

I think purchasing this software will be very beneficial. Even if you don't like to use a HUD, just being able to analyse your play and put in work away from the tables is much easier with PT4 or HM2 than without.

Old
Mon Jul 28, 2014, 05:46 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2012
If you play 2NL on Stars then I don't think you need one. There are like 5 solid regs at that level (6 max at least).

The higher you go, though, HUDs do become something of a necessity because people are going to use them to exploit you.

I used to be a solid supporter of them, now, I wish they didn't exist.

I started playing a little poker the last couple of days (On another site as my Stars exile ends this Friday) and I am beating 10NL without using the HUD. Again, it might be down to the fact I am not a reg on that site, and the regs that are there haven't got their dossier compiled yet but still, it suggests to me at least that HUDs are only beneficial to a certain extent.

Sandtrap doesn't use them, Felix doesn't like to rely on them too much either, two extremely solid players who win.

Old
Fri Aug 01, 2014, 12:49 PM
(#5)
Since: Dec 2009
BronzeStar
thanks for all the comments folks

Old
Sat Aug 30, 2014, 05:21 PM
(#6)
Since: Feb 2013
Just a warning, I tried poker tracker 4 with the free download and it came with a "mega browse" bug, which meant I had spam adds all the time until I managed to remove the bug.

Pt4 seemed ok tho, but I have also used hm2 which suits me better as its already set up the way I like it.

Please note that having a hud is one thing but the edge comes from you knowing what to do with that information as the hud will not tell you how to play it will only say how others have been playing before that hand.

Old
Fri Sep 05, 2014, 01:36 PM
(#7)
Since: Jul 2011
Quote:
Question About Poker HUDS - Should I Invest?
Yes!

Old
Fri Sep 05, 2014, 04:20 PM
(#8)
Since: Aug 2013
Too many advantages to pass on:
- HUD for analysis and learning offline as you can put the HUD on when replaying hands
- Database for tracking, analysis, replaying, tagging hands, learning
- More informed decisions in situations where you have stats on villains, giving you an edge

Old
Thu Oct 23, 2014, 04:43 AM
(#9)
Since: Jan 2012
Only weak players who are not very good at the game need a HUD to gain a edge over other players. they should not be allowed on any site I see them as cheating. you don't get any extra help in a live game.
It all come down to your experience. Online poker has turned the game into luck it's like a pokie machine now just press bet bet bet open your hands on the river and see who one there is no skill any more in online poker.

Old
Thu Oct 23, 2014, 07:11 AM
(#10)
Since: Dec 2011
I have a HUD and most of them offer a free trial period, so you have nothing to lose!!

I had a 30 day trial, but I bought it after a day!

Give one a go!

Old
Thu Oct 23, 2014, 07:27 AM
(#11)
Since: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by big bluff246 View Post
Only weak players who are not very good at the game need a HUD to gain a edge over other players. they should not be allowed on any site I see them as cheating. you don't get any extra help in a live game.
It all come down to your experience. Online poker has turned the game into luck it's like a pokie machine now just press bet bet bet open your hands on the river and see who one there is no skill any more in online poker.
Let me guess. You crush high stakes without one?

Old
Thu Oct 23, 2014, 09:51 AM
(#12)
Since: Jun 2010
YES, get one
BUT use it for your personal analysis
Once you reach 25NL and higher, it might be useful
DON'T let the software dictate how you should play

Take lots of notes on players, it's better than a HUD
Lots of members here use HUD's a lower stakes and still can't beat it.

Learn to play poker before using a HUD

Old
Thu Oct 23, 2014, 12:08 PM
(#13)
Since: Aug 2010
(Moderator)
And that sir, is the most usefull advice you will get, go look at Sandtraps record if you want further pursuation.

Good luck at the tables.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com