Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

$1.10 MTT--Anything to do different here?

Old
$1.10 MTT--Anything to do different here? - Wed Jul 30, 2014, 12:52 PM
(#1)
Since: Oct 2010
First off, I won't lie......this one is irking me just a little bit.

That said, in the interest of trying to become better I am going to pose one real question here.

My read on the BB was that they were in a lot of hand, whether they raise, or flat called raises preflop. I didn't have much of a read on CO2. My plan was that so long as an ace doesn't hit flop I am going to be aggressive.

My question is this.....my raise on the flop....too big, too small, or ok?

Old
Wed Jul 30, 2014, 02:33 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
What type of tournament is this from? Different types have different strategies and I want to be able to provide the best answer possible.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jul 30, 2014, 03:01 PM
(#3)
1.10 MTT. 560ish left, top 300ish pay.

Old
Wed Jul 30, 2014, 03:32 PM
(#4)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
With KK and a limper in front of me, I'm going to make a standard raise, which for me at this blind level is to 2.5BB+1BB for each limper (700).

I get a board with three unders (go figure) and the first opp min bets and is called. Bets and raises postflop need to be sized based on the size of the pot, number of opps and board texture. With 2 opps in the hand, a standard bet or raise is 2/3 pot, so I will raise by 2/3 pot, to 2133. I don't want to raise to less than this or I risk giving the opps the correct odds to try to outdraw me. If I raise less and the opp outdraws me, then the opp will win chips on average from me... something that I need to avoid.

The same thing on the turn. I need to raise by 2/3 pot and since I don't have this much, I need to shove the turn.

The other option that I could do (if the opps are known to be very loose and calling stations) is to shove the flop. A better opp will not pay off this bet and will fold all worse hands, but it's a better option than betting too small. I really wouldn't want to do this though, as my standard flop raise does not pot-commit me.

Std raise pre and on flop/shove turn > shove flop > betting small on flop

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

P.S. If this was a league game, especially late in the month, then I'd go about this hand totally differently.

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jul 30, 2014, 07:10 PM
(#5)
Well I don't diaagree I could have bet a bit more on the flop John. Seems to me with how this went down the player with A8 put me on AK or AQ. How else would they risk half their stack with not even top pai, after a raise preflop, flop and shove on the turn?

Old
Wed Jul 30, 2014, 07:27 PM
(#6)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Some players won't fold a pair... we want the call (even though we'll lose a given % of the time)... because in the long run, they're how we make our $$

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Jul 30, 2014, 09:44 PM
(#7)
Since: Apr 2014
solid raise 600 or 800 is ok.........3BB

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com