Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Folded To His Raise On The Turn? - 10 NL Fullring

Old
Folded To His Raise On The Turn? - 10 NL Fullring - Fri Aug 01, 2014, 07:26 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
I'm trying to work on my aggression in the game, raising bigger and more often trying to get opponents off marginal hands (which is hard to do at micro-stakes).

From what I observed about this player was that he was very tight, almost nitty. He didn't enter many pots and didn't raise much preflop.

I had a great starting hand and was happy to play agressively hoping to get heads-up with some of the more loose players, but the nitty guy tagged along.

Post-flop I again showed aggression and again on the turn but he wasn't going away. His re-raise on the turn threw me completely. I knew he couldn't be doing it with air but what could he have? Trips, maybe Aces? Hardly a nut flush draw?

I almost shoved my stack in but my gut told me to fold, I didn't like to at all and it went against the aggression that I'm trying to develop in my game.

I don't know if this was a good fold or not, any advice?

Sorry, this hand was deleted by its owner

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Fri Aug 01, 2014, 08:58 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
good discipline fold

4 way into the flop i dont like K's into this kind of action regardless of the read you got on the player

the moment opponent flats the flop with 2 players left to act then reraise the turn overpair is not enough most of the time

Old
Sat Aug 02, 2014, 02:23 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi Paul,

Your gut was right. While we don't have post flop stats here, his preflop stats are passive. It's a limited sample size of only 76 hands, but consider:

-His PFR is only 5%, which is passive
-He has yet to 3B anyone in 24 opportunities, which is passive
-He has yet to go to a showdown (and his turn raise means he's going there this time if we are willing).

Pretty good circumstantial evidence that this guy is passive and nitty. Players like that just don't raise the turn without a monster. Even more evidence: We have c-bet the flop for a large sizing into a 4 way pot, which shows great strength, and he didn't fold. From a nit that alone should ring warning bells for us. On the turn, this player type will just call our bet with TT/JJ/QQ almost certainly.

This is never 100% certain, there's always the chance they show up with something weird, but I think we are getting shown a set the large majority of the time in this spot and am comfortable laying the hand down to his raise.

Tweet this hand on Twitter using the Tweet button above for a chance to win a seat in the next $5,000 guaranteed Big Bang tournament. You MUST include #LearnPoker and @PokerStarsPSO in your tweet. Winners will be notified by email every Monday. Good luck!

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Aug 02, 2014, 05:26 AM
(#4)
(Community Coordinator)
Thank you Dave and Marvin, I'm feeling a little happier about folding now.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Aug 02, 2014, 11:58 AM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2012
These types of folds will do wonders to your winrate! It's painful, but all the evidence is there as supplied by the very knowledgeable people on this forum. Twisting it around, you saved yourself a couple of buyins by not shoving. Feels almost like a win!

Old
Sat Aug 02, 2014, 12:04 PM
(#6)
(Community Coordinator)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlk73 View Post
These types of folds will do wonders to your winrate! It's painful, but all the evidence is there as supplied by the very knowledgeable people on this forum. Twisting it around, you saved yourself a couple of buyins by not shoving. Feels almost like a win!
Yeah, I guess it is. All too often I don't fold in these situations and it's a huge leak in my game.

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Aug 02, 2014, 01:43 PM
(#7)
Since: Apr 2012
Yeah, i didnt knew it before i read that on 2+2, but i suppose this is Baluga Theorem in action , turn raise from a nit is almost never bluff here, opp is basically saying "i got overpair beat", wp Raiser.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com