Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

$0.50 STT - Pocket Aces

Old
$0.50 STT - Pocket Aces - Sat Aug 02, 2014, 05:50 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2014
Hand 6:

Was that just a bad beat, or could I have done better?

Or, did Hand 1 have any impact on how this unfolded? Hand 1:

I'm not sure what to make of it so any advice appreciated. Also any comments on hand 1 welcome too, thanks!

Last edited by nevracking; Sat Aug 02, 2014 at 05:54 AM.. Reason: replayer works

Old
Sat Aug 02, 2014, 07:50 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2014
BronzeStar
Well you have the best hand in poker so if you can get the money in pre-flop that's great. You're never folding so there's no problem. And hand 1 has nothing to do with it.

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Aug 02, 2014, 09:47 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
In the first hand, I'm going to make a standard opening raise, just as you did. Then when the opp shoves, I can't get my chips in fast enough.

The second hand, however... overbet bluffs are easily noticed by observant opps... something that I do not want to do. Standard bets and raises are the key to winning long-term.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Aug 02, 2014, 02:46 PM
(#4)
Since: Jul 2014
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated!

Regarding the second hand, I was trying to avoid the villain going all-in and forcing me to fold instead, so I decided to take the initiative. Seeing as it's the opening hand I felt he wouldn't have wanted to risk busting straightaway. Was I wrong to think that though? Obviously I'm still learning so please advise, thanks!

Old
Sat Aug 02, 2014, 11:23 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevracking View Post
Was I wrong to think that though?
The earlier in the tourney that it is, the more maniacs and calling stations that are still in. Due to this, never underestimate what someone may do that is out of character for a normal opponent.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Aug 06, 2014, 06:40 PM
(#6)
Since: Apr 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevracking View Post
Regarding the second hand, I was trying to avoid the villain going all-in and forcing me to fold instead, so I decided to take the initiative.
The hands which he would be doing this with are almost the exact same as the hands he would be calling your shove with (minus a minute number of bluffs).

If you are going to make this "semi" bluff raise then I prefer it on the flop rather than the turn.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com