(#1)
Since: May 2014

Played on a 0.11 tourney

Old
Sat Aug 02, 2014, 07:42 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2014
BronzeStar
You might want to call your threads something a bit informative describing the hand - 'please review this hand' describes every thread in the forum

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Aug 02, 2014, 07:47 AM
(#3)
BronzeStar
As for hand, firstly I'd be folding pre-flop. A 4x raise in tournaments is very large, and even if it is a blind steal, your hand is not going to flop strongly enough usually for you to continue. Even if you hit a queen there is a good chance you are out kicked and will lose a lot of money.

As for after the flop, the check to the pre-flop raiser is fine, but re-raising all in is way over the top. It's a relatively safe board so you don't need to try and take the pot down now. I like raising, but a much smaller amount would be better. That way hands like KQ or QJ can continue, and give you more chips. When you have a strong hand on a safe board, our aim isn't to take the pot down now, but to get as many chips out of the opponent as possible.

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Aug 02, 2014, 08:46 AM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2011
Fold pre. Q8o plays horrendously out of position with no initiative.

As played, post-flop is fine, but possibly not optimal. Check-calling, check-raising and check-shoving are all viable. I'd usually just call the c-bet and hope villain keeps barreling (especially if he has something like AQ), as I think this might have a slightly higher EV, but it's probably safer to just cram it in immediately and deny villain the chance to control the action or improve to a better hand, especially if you're not confident in your post-flop play.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Aug 02, 2014, 08:52 AM
(#5)
what kinds of hand would u recommend to call a raise from the big blind with ?

Old
Sat Aug 02, 2014, 09:49 AM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Instant fold preflop, even if the opp is a total maniac.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Aug 02, 2014, 10:14 AM
(#7)
yes but what kind of hands would u recommend to call a raise with pre flop ?

Old
Sat Aug 02, 2014, 10:19 AM
(#8)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
That will be dependent on how the opp is playing and a read on this is necessary to develop a range of hands to play... and this info was not provided.

If it's a tighter opp, since I'm out of position and they overbet, I need a premium hand, say JJ+ AK+.. even TT or AQs would be marginal.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Aug 02, 2014, 10:22 AM
(#9)
BronzeStar
It's hard to say exactly because there is so little information. For example, is the villain tight or loose? If he is loose then we can widen our calling range, if he is tighter, we should tighten up. Is 4x his usual raise size? And if it isn't, do we think he is stronger or weaker than usual? And what stage of the tournament are we at - are we desperate for chips?

Personally out of the big blinds I prefer to 3-bet rather than simply call as we are out of position after the flop so my range will be tighter. I am probably playing hands like ATs+, AJo+, KJs+, KQo, QJs, 77+. But it's so context specific it is hard to tell you what hands you should be playing generically in the BB against a cut off raise.

Edit: Or what John said

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Aug 02, 2014, 02:39 PM
(#10)
Since: Apr 2012
*More descriptive title added* - Fadyen

Tournament of Champions Winner 2013

Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com