Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Live Game Sweats and Online Tournaments / Skill League /

rather play open school league then premier league?

Old
rather play open school league then premier league? - Sun Aug 03, 2014, 05:33 AM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2014
I am "rewarded" to play in the premier league this month. But I fail to see where the reward is.
When I look at the prize money for me I am better off playing in the open school league.
Because in the open school league I only need 20 points and a place within the first 2000 to get $ 2,50.In the premier league I need to be placed beneath 500 to get $2 ,00.
First prize in the premier league is $ 500,00 with 20 points , in the open school league $ 1500,00.

Maybe I see it wrong and please correct me if I am but as I see it now I have more chance of winning a bigger prize in the open school league then in the premier league. Further more because I know I will not earn up to 150 points a month.

Old
Sun Aug 03, 2014, 09:09 AM
(#2)
Since: Apr 2012
Hi donna,

I understand your frustration about the potential prizes in the Premier Skill League as it's not ideal if you don't have above the 150 VPP mark. However the aim of the Open League is to progress up to the Premier League and this is not something that can be changed. The key thing to remember here is the difference in participants between the two leagues. You are correct that you need to finish in higher spots in the Premier but in actual fact it's easier to do so. In the Open League you are competing against over a hundred thousand other players and to win a prize need to make the top 2% or so. Whereas in the Premier you are competing against just 1500 players and to win a prize you need to finish in the top 33%.

I urge you to give it a try and see how you like it. Good luck!

Cheers,

Chris

Tournament of Champions Winner 2013

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Aug 03, 2014, 10:28 AM
(#3)
Since: Apr 2014
Hi Chris ,

Ty for your reply. I sure am giving it a try no doubt about it. I just thought the prizes places between both leagues where/are strange.

I know I don't get above 150 vpp. I don't play high stakes , I just play for fun.
And maybe you are right about that it is easier to finish in a higher spot but I still think it is easier to get a prize in the open school league.
I have played for 2 months now. The first month I started halfway the month , maybe even a couple of days later , and finished 1900 and got $2,50.
The second month I played from the start and was placed a long time around place 200. In the last week I dropped, because of variance or just bad play/ bad beats ,to just under 500 and ended 607 with again $ 2,50.
Each game in the open poker skill there are max 10000 players. In the first half hour half of them is eliminated and at the first break often the number is limited beneath 2000. If you play sensible and have a little luck on your side you can get points most of the times.

But I will play the premier league with pleasure and se what happens and how far I will get.

And maybe I should have started with saying that I am not frustrated about it , just thought it strange.

Old
Sun Aug 03, 2014, 11:13 AM
(#4)
Since: Apr 2012
Well you're not the first to comment about this and I guess it does seem strange at first glance. But if you take into consideration the number of player in each league it does make sense, I promise lol. You'll find in the Prem League though the players want to do well. Less of the crazy plays and masses of early bust outs and more what you're used to in regular tourneys. Hopefully you find it a good experience and maybe get a nice boost to your bankroll.

Tournament of Champions Winner 2013

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thumbs up
Wed Aug 27, 2014, 07:10 PM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2010
Hi Donna,
I've seen U in the "P" & wish U well in whatever League U R playing (Y)
First, to answer ur ?, YES, it seems as though getting promoted to the Premier("P") is a penalty when u are playing at the 20 VPPs level but just look at the prize structure if U were playing at the 150 level
PS "promotes" players so maybe , just maybe they will try to get the 150 VPPs & thusly bring more $$ to PS.
I know 150 seems like an impossible amout of VPPs to make. I & MANY OTHERS thought the same at one point in time or another. V Strange though, if you learn the game well, after several months of not screwing around like u did in the last part of the month you had #200, you may have enough bankroll & skill to get those 150 VPPs. Really, YOU CAN DO IT.!
As for the part about 100,000 players, that's just really taking the defination of "Player" at it's most simplistic form. REALLY, there are prolly less than 500 players in a month who have taken the time to learn everything they can about getting a good score in the "O". Luckily for U, all you need to know is contained the this thread,
Simplified 'OPEN LEAGUE' Strategy
Have a good time
sleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by donna1906 View Post
Hi Chris ,

Ty for your reply. I sure am giving it a try no doubt about it. I just thought the prizes places between both leagues where/are strange.

I know I don't get above 150 vpp. I don't play high stakes , I just play for fun.
And maybe you are right about that it is easier to finish in a higher spot but I still think it is easier to get a prize in the open school league.
I have played for 2 months now. The first month I started halfway the month , maybe even a couple of days later , and finished 1900 and got $2,50.
The second month I played from the start and was placed a long time around place 200. In the last week I dropped, because of variance or just bad play/ bad beats ,to just under 500 and ended 607 with again $ 2,50.
Each game in the open poker skill there are max 10000 players. In the first half hour half of them is eliminated and at the first break often the number is limited beneath 2000. If you play sensible and have a little luck on your side you can get points most of the times.

But I will play the premier league with pleasure and se what happens and how far I will get.

And maybe I should have started with saying that I am not frustrated about it , just thought it strange.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com