Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Brags, Beats and Variance /

Yeah Right! - K,9 Suited - Freeroll Tournament - Any Advice?

Old
Yeah Right! - K,9 Suited - Freeroll Tournament - Any Advice? - Sun Aug 03, 2014, 06:36 AM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2014

This is why you sometimes get the feeling the game is rigged.

Limit Hold em

Last edited by donna1906; Sun Aug 03, 2014 at 06:38 AM.. Reason: adding information

Old
Sun Aug 03, 2014, 06:47 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
You just limped in preflop inviting all the other players to tag along.

If you were going to play this hand (and it's not a strong hand to play) you should always raise to narrow down the field making it easier to range any oppoenent that tags along.

On the flop there is so much that can out draw you, for example:

A flush draw (which is what actually happened)
Ace King has you crushed too.

Your hands just not good enough most times in this spot

It's got nothing to do with the software either. If you keep that in your mind you will never bother to improve your game and play better poker, you will just continue losing and blaming the software.

If this happened online would it be the softwares fault too?

Raiser

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Aug 03, 2014, 07:29 AM
(#3)
I hope you poker reads are better then reading my message. :P, lol , just kidding.

I don't blame the software. I just want to show how people can get the feeling the software is to blame.

I know my starting hand wasn't great and I shouldn't limp. But I did and hit a street at the flop. And I knew at the turn that V8 or V1 could have a flush but also that both were playing this way with only a pair. But it was a free roll and I wanted to see.

So again , I am not complaining here . Just a way to say I can understand when people say "Yeah right ".

Old
Sun Aug 03, 2014, 10:07 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
One key in limit hold'em that is different from no-limit... you can't price out the opp's draws.

It's common for players in limit to play almost any 2 suited cards because they can chase and chase and chase and they will almost always be getting the correct odds to continue in the hand. Whenever the board hits 3 of a suit, you always have to be worried about the opp having a flush.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Aug 03, 2014, 10:35 AM
(#5)
My experience is that also in no limit many people play any suited cards as if it are premium hands.

Old
Sun Aug 03, 2014, 10:40 AM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by donna1906 View Post
My experience is that also in no limit many people play any suited cards as if it are premium hands.
The difference is that in NLHE, you can make a bet that will give the opps a -EV play (one where the expected value is negative... they lose chips). You cannot do this in limit because the bets are fixed.
When playing no-limit, if I price them out, while they will hit a given % of the time, they WILL lose chips to me long term when they chase.. and that's the goal.. to eventually get all of the opp's chips.

Here's a LINK to a blog that I wrote on how to go about it for NLHE.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Aug 03, 2014, 11:40 AM
(#7)
Here's a LINK to a blog that I wrote on how to go about it for NLHE.

John (JWK24)[/QUOTE]

Ty for the link John . I have been reading it a couple of times and some of the things make perfect sense to me but also some of them I don't understand. Probably has to do with me not being English or I am just not clever enough and not with your explanation .

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com