Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Sunday Storm - Top Pair and Top Kicker - Check Raised by Villain

Old
Sunday Storm - Top Pair and Top Kicker - Check Raised by Villain - Sun Aug 03, 2014, 03:42 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2011
It's $11 Sunday Storm, I got check raised on flop what should I do here go all-in or fold?

PokerStars Hand #119625950006: Tournament #940986493, $10+$1 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level VIII (125/250) - 2014/08/04 0:23:55 IST [2014/08/03 14:53:55 ET]
Table '940986493 214' 9-max Seat #8 is the button
Seat 1: najoferoz (6550 in chips)
Seat 2: Fartovii2013 (21368 in chips)
Seat 3: Rusty375 (2585 in chips)
Seat 4: LOOSE LONNIE (14562 in chips)
Seat 5: acsge (7124 in chips)
Seat 6: MarceloMDP (9068 in chips)
Seat 7: adikumar2010 (8435 in chips)
Seat 8: AcMilanKing (9648 in chips)
Seat 9: jaimyh (2820 in chips)
najoferoz: posts the ante 25
Fartovii2013: posts the ante 25
Rusty375: posts the ante 25
LOOSE LONNIE: posts the ante 25
acsge: posts the ante 25
MarceloMDP: posts the ante 25
adikumar2010: posts the ante 25
AcMilanKing: posts the ante 25
jaimyh: posts the ante 25
jaimyh: posts small blind 125
najoferoz: posts big blind 250
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to adikumar2010 [ ]
Fartovii2013: folds
Rusty375: folds
LOOSE LONNIE: folds
acsge: folds
MarceloMDP: folds
adikumar2010: raises 300 to 550
AcMilanKing: calls 550
jaimyh: folds
najoferoz: calls 300
*** FLOP *** [ ]
najoferoz: checks
adikumar2010: bets 1000
AcMilanKing: folds
najoferoz: raises 4975 to 5975 and is all-in
adikumar2010:

STATS :

Old
Sun Aug 03, 2014, 07:16 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi adikumar2010!

With ATo preflop, I'm going to make a standard raise.

When I flop top pair on a wet board, I need to make a standard value bet. With 2 opps, I need to bet 2/3 pot... betting less does not accomplish anything for me other than to tell the opps that I have a marginal hand and give them the right odds to try to outdraw me.

The opp now check/shoves. With this being a tighter opp, this is going to be a set, flush, OESD or combo draw... any of which, my 1 pair is in deep trouble against as the opp has now priced themselves in. Due to this, I need to fold.

However, IF this is a better opp, then it could also be with air due to the weak flop bet. I know that on many more than one occasion, if the opp screams weakness, then I can gladly shove over them and get them to fold... since I know they're on a marginal hand. With no info about the opp, no clue if this is the case or not, but I wouldn't totally rule it out.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Tweet this hand on Twitter using the Tweet button above for a chance to win a seat in the next $5,000 guaranteed Big Bang tournament. You MUST include #LearnPoker and @PokerStarsPSO in your tweet. Winners will be notified by email every Monday. Good luck!

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Aug 03, 2014, 09:01 PM
(#3)
Since: Mar 2011
I just thought betting 2/3 pot or big is a huge tell to a good player that I am trying to protect my top pair or JJ QQ in this kind of board.

So my 2/3 pot bet clearly speaks to them I don't want further action everyone please fold on the flop. Whereas I don't mind them calling 50% bet and peeling of with the Top pair weak kicker or 2nd pair. Why create so much pressure which can force them to laydown there 2nd pair.

Every micro stakes player who bets huge is clearly trying to protect his hand and praying to take the pot down on the flop as he can't see over cards coming off. But the truth is why discourage action first what are the chances that he is floating with over cards he can have a small pocket pair already. So overcards does him no good. Secondaly what are the chances that, that one exact overcard made him a pair, third what are the chances that turn card will be over-card for sure. If you add-up all most of the time you will not get drawn out with just one overcard coming off on the turn, 4/5 times you will still have the best hand.

So why do I tell with my huge bet them I have top pair and please don't make a float with your KQ or JQ on this board.

One more reason why I didn't go big c-bet as my stack is not so deep. I want to leave a room to fold if the runout is bad. This is a tourny I think 50% pot is enough 3-way to get folds as all the stack are not as deep as cash games.

Old
Sun Aug 03, 2014, 09:34 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
2/3 pot is a standard bet for 2 opps.

more than 2/3 is a tell for a big hand. less than 2/3 is a tell for a weak hand and does not accomplish protecting against draws.

1/2 pot is for value and to protect against draws against one opp only... it does not accomplish pricing out more than one opp.

1/2 is standard vs 1 opp
2/3 is standard vs 2 opps
3/4 is standard vs 3 opps
pot is standard vs 4+ opps

bets more than these are tells for a big hand and ones less do not price out the opp's draws. Against an opp with a clue, if you have 2 opps in the pot and bet 1/2 pot, the opp will be priced in for their draws, should stay in the hand if they have one and will win chips on average from you due to giving them a +EV play.

If the opps get a +EV play, they WILL win chips from me on average.. and this is what betting too small accomplishes... it will cause me to lose chips.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Aug 04, 2014, 06:23 AM
(#5)
Since: Aug 2010
considering that opp is in the bb and can check raising me with a big draw because the board is so wet I will call him.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com