Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Missed set-mining opportunity. Early stages $0.11 MTT

Old
Missed set-mining opportunity. Early stages $0.11 MTT - Mon Aug 04, 2014, 12:44 PM
(#1)
Since: Feb 2010
I have Chromestar this month but it is only an $0.11 tourney so have posted in basic hands. Also odd one as I fold preflop but have shown the flop.

Not to be results oriented, but I open-raised then folded to a 3-bet and a call with players still to act behind preflop, holding 33.

I 'would have hit' my bottom set, but was it still a good fold?

Pretty sure I had odds to set mine even with a decent size 3-bet because we were deep - I had already doubled up.

But it is very early stages in an aggressive shove fest tourney.

Player who 3-bet was aggro 75/30/25 over 12 hands (yes only second orbit in tourney but tendencies continued afterwards). Player who called was loose passive 60/7/0 over the 12 hands.

Players behind were tending towards loose passive too.

Any thoughts welcome on how to approach this hand in these tiny micro tourneys.

Cheers

Ed

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Aug 04, 2014, 12:48 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Ed,

With it being close in stack sizes, especially with a loose/passive calling station in there, I'm going to call the 3-bet and see if I can flop a set. If I'm going to take a shot setmining when it's borderline, I like to do it with stationy opps... so I've got a much better shot at getting paid when I do hit.

If the opps were tighter or aggro, then I'd be more likely to fold, but with stationy players, I'll take a shot.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Aug 04, 2014, 06:53 PM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2010
Given the depth of stacks, the tiny 3Bet size and the fact we're likely going to be 4-way, I'd be more than happy calling preflop to set-mine.

Old
Tue Aug 05, 2014, 05:43 AM
(#4)
Since: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK24 View Post
Ed,

With it being close in stack sizes, especially with a loose/passive calling station in there, I'm going to call the 3-bet and see if I can flop a set. If I'm going to take a shot setmining when it's borderline, I like to do it with stationy opps... so I've got a much better shot at getting paid when I do hit.

If the opps were tighter or aggro, then I'd be more likely to fold, but with stationy players, I'll take a shot.

John (JWK24)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spand42 View Post
Given the depth of stacks, the tiny 3Bet size and the fact we're likely going to be 4-way, I'd be more than happy calling preflop to set-mine.
Thanks John & Spand

The guy who initially called my raise, then called the 3-bet after I folded to close the preflop action, (villain 2) was new at the table.

I could have assumed that having just called my opening raise they were most likely to also call the 3-bet.

So I must have had ridiculously good implied odds to set-mine into a very likely 4-way pot.

Just too cautious as I always expect someone at the table to shove over the top when the pot grows preflop in these shovefests.

I did cash the tourney anyway - but I think I should take these spots more often. If V2 shoves preflop I will see the other two villains reactions and can easily fold. If as they did here they just call there is a big potential pot and I can fold to any action on a missed flop.

And on the few occassions I hit I am likely to get paid off - especially when the loose aggressive 3-bettor has the Aces..

Cheers again

Ed

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com