Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Full house vs. 4 of a kind

Old
Full house vs. 4 of a kind - Tue Aug 05, 2014, 11:11 AM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2014

Hey, I started playing a few days ago. How could I have known, that he has 4 of a kind? He played so passive.

Thank you!

Old
Tue Aug 05, 2014, 11:18 AM
(#2)
Since: Oct 2011
There's no way of knowing. Everyone in the world is calling that river bet with your hand.

Your problem is not post-flop, it's pre. Don't limp the button without a good reason. Raise to steal the blinds, or just fold. A9 is strong enough to open on the button, so raise it up.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Aug 05, 2014, 11:30 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Backes314!

When posting a tourney hand, please always put what type of tourney a hand is from. The reason for this is that different tourney types have different strategies and we want to be able to provide the best answer possible.

The big problem with this hand is preflop. When I'm the first one to open a pot, I cannot limp. I need to either make a standard raise or fold. At this blind level, a standard raise is to 3BB+1BB for each limper, so I will raise to 300. Open-limping is one of the largest leaks that many players have because it is easily exploitable by an observant opponent. When an opp open-limps, it normally signifies a marginal hand and if someone raises behind them, they then have to fold and leak off chips... or call with a marginal hand and leak off even more.

After the flop, this hand is a total cooler. I'm getting my chips in on the river here each and every time and if the opp has the case J, so be it. I want my chips in the middle and it's a good example of why I need to follow bankroll management when playing (for tourneys, this means that I have 100 buy-ins in my bankroll before playing a given level of game).

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Aug 05, 2014, 04:00 PM
(#4)
Since: Sep 2010
I just have a disagreement on your preflop sizing John.

My guide for opening sizings is the depth of stacks people have rather than the blind level. Given how short we are, I think opening 3x would be a pretty significant mistake as if we are choosing to open and fold to a shove, losing that extra BB compared to a minopen could be pretty costly.

And if we're raise/calling, it doesn't matter whether we open to or 3x in the first place.

Old
Tue Aug 05, 2014, 04:58 PM
(#5)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Andy,

I could live with doing 2 times too. Just thought that 3 might give a bit more fold equity.. definitely not folding either to a 3-bet shove on this short of a stack.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com