Home / Community / Forum / Poker Community / Challenges & Battleground & Member Blogs /

Pullin's 5nl Zoom ZOOM! Challenge

Old
Pullin's 5nl Zoom ZOOM! Challenge - Thu Aug 07, 2014, 06:18 AM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2013

After a year of being a PSO member, I have now decided to set my own challenge and goals.

Below I have set out some of the reasons why I shall be setting goals.

My purpose for setting goals

Setting goals will help me to achieve my objectives. It will allow me to direct my efforts and attention on specific targets and help to not stray off the line of sight on the outcome that I so desire. Along the way, if I find that a specific goal is easily achievable, then I can adjust those goals leading to more effort and ambition. By setting goals I am more likely to work through the setbacks that may occur. By setting goals that are specific, achievable, ambitious (in my eyes) will lead to higher performance on and outside the poker table. This will be a great way to monitor my success and identify any areas that need improving.

Daily Goals
  • To play at least 500 hands of 5nl Zoom poker a day (around 1.5 hours of my time).
  • If I fail to play the 500 hands that I have outlined in the first bullet point, the aim will be to try and make up (provided that it doesn't become too stressful!) any of the days that I have missed.
  • To stop pestering Arty (can't guarantee that!).

Weekly Goals
  • To have played at least 3.5K hands of 5nl Zoom poker a week (around 10.5 hours of play a week).
  • To update my thread once a week with my progress.
  • To post at least 2 of my most troubled hands for PSO analysis.
  • To conduct a weekly database review of my stats and hands where I have lost the biggest pots.

Monthly Goals
  • To have played at least 14k hands of Zoom poker a month (around 42 hours of play).
  • To update my thread with my monthly achievements.
  • To conduct a monthly database review of my stats and hands that I have played.

End of year goals
  • To aim to achieve a win rate of 4bb/100 (although anything can happen).
  • To have played at least 70k hands at 5nl Zoom poker.
  • To have made at least $140 by the end of the year.

If anyone who reads this thinks that I need to be more specific with certain goals, etc, or there is anything that I could add that would be helpful, I would very much appreciate your input.

Starting from today! 7th August 2014

Cheers,

Matt

Last edited by pullin1988; Thu Aug 07, 2014 at 08:54 AM..

Old
Thu Aug 07, 2014, 07:10 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
That looks pretty solid!

I wish you the very best of luck Matt, run good!

Raiser

Old
Thu Aug 07, 2014, 07:43 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2012
Very best of luck

Old
Thu Aug 07, 2014, 08:53 AM
(#4)
Since: Apr 2012
Those goals look pretty good, something to aim for but realistically achievable. Best of luck

Oh and not sure if you play FR or 6-max, but if it's 6-max I'll see you at the tables!

Tournament of Champions Winner 2013

Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Aug 07, 2014, 11:04 AM
(#5)
Since: Oct 2013
GL!

Old
Fri Aug 08, 2014, 01:35 PM
(#6)
Since: Aug 2010
BronzeStar
Hey Pullin, GL GL!!

Here's a tip from mr mendes I got when setting up my goals for this year - the breaks and treats have been great, so they were a nice addition to have, jic I forgot those things, although that wasn't likely (lol!) but just in case

Old
Fri Aug 08, 2014, 07:39 PM
(#7)
Since: Oct 2011
You can pester me all you like, as long as you give higher priority to some of the other goals. :P

I'm doing something similar (500 hands a day, hoping for 4bb/100 in the long run), so I'll follow your progress for sure.

I wish you the best of luck with this challenge!

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Aug 10, 2014, 11:20 AM
(#8)

Week 1 (10.08.14): DONE!

Hands played: 2,193
Profit: -$3.19

This update has been a bit of rush, as I am going out for my birthday meal, birthday is in fact tomorrow.

The first couple days of the challenge was going really well - the first 500 hands; as seen on the graph below. I was up around two buyins; however, that was short lived, as for the last 1,500, things didn't go so well.

Below are the losing showdown hands that have costed me (as seen in the graph above). I will go over these and see if there is anything that could have been done to avoid losing so much. If not, then I guess it's due to variance.

Hand 1

Stats on villain: Sample Size 210 hands 13/08/0.8

Here I had trips. I think that I should be raising the flop. Again on the turn I called. I think at the time I felt that he could have AA, KK, etc and I just called down. It turnt out that I was ahead, but he made it on the river. Is this a bad beat?

Hand 2

Stats on villain: None

I think in this hand above, everything was fine. I thought long and hard on the river believe it or not when villain donks. I said in the chat "you could have a fullhouse here". I called thinking that there may be worse flushes here. Was I right to call? I definitely wasn't going to raise the river when my relative hand strenght just decreased.

Hand 3

Stats on villain: Sample Size 150 hands 24/14/2.4

I bet the flop with my flush draw. If I take it down great. If I don't and I am called that I have outs to the nut flush. When I get raised, here is where I can become a bit stuck. When villain raises, here I am putting him on 2pair KQ, 33, possibly QQ. I think that villain would raise KK preflop. I get stuck, because I don't know if it is profitablle to call his raise. Well, I did call and I didn't make my flush. What's crazy is that villain decides to check the river when he has a fullhouse! crazy stuff! Maybe he thought he could try to induce a bluff or something, but the fact that I am checking behind in position means that it's unlikely that I will be by the river.

Also my non-showdown winnings have suffered (currently around -10bb/100). I have faced a lot of aggressive action in the past 1000 hands.

I have asked this before, but is losing around -10bb/100 nonshowdown ok?

So that's it for the week ending 10.08.14. let's hope that next week brings some run good.

Cheers,

Matt

Last edited by pullin1988; Sun Aug 10, 2014 at 12:36 PM..

Old
Sun Aug 10, 2014, 12:51 PM
(#9)
Since: Jan 2013
Best of luck Pullin, i think you should add in some study time though and not do to much grinding you can only learn by watching better players play poker.

Old
Sun Aug 10, 2014, 01:29 PM
(#10)
All hands are played optimally in my opinion. They basically seem like typical nitring coolers. Hopefully you'll be on the positive side of variance next week.

Happy Birthday and good luck!

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Aug 10, 2014, 02:14 PM
(#11)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrustySam View Post
Hey Pullin, GL GL!!
Here's a tip from mr mendes I got when setting up my goals for this year - the breaks and treats have been great, so they were a nice addition to have, jic I forgot those things, although that wasn't likely (lol!) but just in case

Was in the middle of posting this message when my internet gave out - *4 hrs ago* ... d'oh!! And yes, I'm going to be whining about it for the rest of the afternoon

Stopped by the other day to add that tip from mr mendes, then got to talking .. and forgot to add the tip from mr mendes, d'oh - here it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr mendes 20 View Post
Remember to plan the breaks in your study and to reward yourself after perfoming a task, like by getting a special cup of coffee, going for a walk, playing your favorite video game, shopping or whatever you fancy.

GL to all of us with our goals - GL Arty!!

Old
Sun Aug 10, 2014, 02:55 PM
(#12)
Since: Mar 2011
gl pullin and hope you had nice bday

Old
Sun Aug 10, 2014, 02:58 PM
(#13)
BronzeStar
PS Happy Birthday!!

Old
Sun Aug 10, 2014, 03:09 PM
(#14)
BronzeStar
Am so hesitant to add thoughts on hands, since I'm not the greatest player - think ive mentioned that before. But everyone says there's value in just talking through hands, so hopefully it won't hurt to jot down some stuff - jmo of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullin1988 View Post
Hand 1

Stats on villain: Sample Size 210 hands 13/08/0.8

Here I had trips. I think that I should be raising the flop. Again on the turn I called. I think at the time I felt that he could have AA, KK, etc and I just called down. It turnt out that I was ahead, but he made it on the river. Is this a bad beat?
My initial thoughts in watching the hand were that I'd probably play it exactly like you

Then started thinking about the hand some more, and guess it's kind of surprising that a villain with an AF of 0.8 bet the flop with 3 of you in the pot, and then chose to barrel the turn - what do people make of that?

Might have otherwise tended to think only AJ or 99 were in his range by the turn (would QJs be unlikely for someone playing 13/8?), or something like that? Quite a surprise ending ...

Last edited by TrustySam; Sun Aug 10, 2014 at 03:32 PM..

Old
Sun Aug 10, 2014, 03:37 PM
(#15)
Since: Jan 2012
Just found the post, best of lucks to you on your challenge. I'm currently grinding on 5NL Zoom tables so we'll be probably seen a lot of each other

Happy birthday! Hope to see you on the tables gl!

Old
Sun Aug 10, 2014, 04:05 PM
(#16)
Since: Jun 2012
KJs hand, am I the only one that likes x/r on the flop?

I think at higher levels there is a lot to be said about just calling down but at 5NL I think we often get value from worse hands so I would just raise it up and be willing to get it in.

Old
Tue Aug 12, 2014, 05:00 AM
(#17)
Cheers all, I appreciate it.

Sam

Quote:
Stopped by the other day to add that tip from mr mendes, then got to talking .. and forgot to add the tip from mr mendes, d'oh - here it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr mendes 20 View Post
Remember to plan the breaks in your study and to reward yourself after perfoming a task, like by getting a special cup of coffee, going for a walk, playing your favorite video game, shopping or whatever you fancy.
Great idea! I am definitely going to add this into my goals. I will have a think on what I would like to reward myself with.

Mike

Quote:
Best of luck Pullin, i think you should add in some study time though and not do to much grinding you can only learn by watching better players play poker.
Agree. I think I would like to spend more study time on learning how to play from the blinds. I think that it would be a good idea to focus on specific areas and not get too overwhelmed with studying in too many different areas.

Sam

Thanks for the thoughts on that first hand. As you have mentioned about villain's stats, I think that's why I went into calling mode. Initially because he is passive postflop, I didn't want him to fold, but when he bets again on the turn I then felt worried that he had me beat. The hand that was shown though was a surprise indeed.

Bhoy

You are not the only one who likes a x/r on this flop, as that's what I usually do, but in this case I didn't, and I think at the time it was because of villains stats with his aggression factor being low. Although I favoured villain to remain in the hand on later streets, when the later streets arrived I did get worried when continued to bet.

Cheers,

Matt

Old
Mon Aug 18, 2014, 09:40 AM
(#18)
Week 2 (17.08.14): Failed!

Hands played: 0
Total number of hands played: 2,193
Week 2 Profit: $0
Overall Profit: -$3.19

Unfortunately I haven't managed to play poker for week 2, but thought I should be consistent and post an update. I have been incredibly busy at work, and it looks as though it won't be letting up for the rest of week 3. It's not a great start to the challenge, but there is still plenty of time to meet the long term goals. I am looking forward to getting back into the poker scene.

I wish you all rungood!

Matt

Old
Tue Aug 19, 2014, 12:54 PM
(#19)
Thanks for the update. I'm a great believer that poker shouldn't be your number one priority, and if you try and squeeze in sessions when you have more important things to do, you'll probably play sub-optimally. Take your time and have the right mindset when you restart.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Aug 20, 2014, 11:13 AM
(#20)
Since: Jan 2012
Don't push yourself, I wanna get better and meet my goals too but pushing myself to play when I know I can't is not a very optimal approach. You'll find the time eventually

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com