Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

NLHE 1000 Play money buy in. Rea2 pair Ace 2 beaten at river, please help

Old
NLHE 1000 Play money buy in. 2 pair Ace 2 beaten at river, please help - Sat Aug 09, 2014, 08:00 AM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2014

So I saw ace 2 come up on the flop and the pot was 1288,
reading today that a small bet is half the pot I bet 580 which is all the chips I had. Was this the right call?

Last edited by ligh7foo7; Sat Aug 09, 2014 at 01:18 PM..

Old
Sat Aug 09, 2014, 08:38 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
What type of tourney is this from? The answer to this will have a dramatic effect on my reply, as different types of tournaments have different strategies.

In most cases, this will be an initial shove or fold... but the tourney type will be the key.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Aug 09, 2014, 12:52 PM
(#3)
No Limit Holdem 1000 Play money buy in.

Old
Sat Aug 09, 2014, 01:14 PM
(#4)
I entered another No limit 1000 play money buy in tournament and this was the result. I am trying to work out the right betting size to make.

Old
Sat Aug 09, 2014, 11:21 PM
(#5)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi ligh7foo7!

With 2 limpers in front of me, when I'm under 10BB in a standard tourney and look down at any A, let alone a suited one, I'm snap-shoving this preflop. I want to put the pressure on the opps to call my bet, instead of letting them possibly see a flop that I miss and they hit, without paying the maximum. Normally the line where you want to either shove or fold is at about 10BB, but could be higher or less, depending on the type of tourney. The faster the blinds go up, the quicker I want to shove and the slower, the longer I can wait.

In the A8 hand, I don't want to play ace/rags out of position, so this one is an easy muck for me preflop. When out of position, I need to play only better hands, as there's too much of a chance that someone with a hand that dominates me can also have position on me.

With TT, I want to make a standard opening raise, which is to 3BB+1BB for each limper. I want to make this same raise with every hand that I'm going to play to help conceal the strength of my hand. Players that bet more with better hands and less with marginal ones are basically turning their cards face-up to an observant opponent.. something that I need to avoid.
When I get a multiway pot with 2 overs on the flop, I need to fold to any bets by the opps. Calling here is a huge leak, as I don't have the correct odds to call. I need to call 284 chips into a pot that will be 1724 (16.5%). I have 4 outs to the straight and 2 more to a set, which is 6 outs. Each out is worth 2% equity, so my hand is worth 12%. This means that on average, I expect to lose 4.5% each and every time that I call here, so I need to fold. I want to be putting my chips into the pot when I expect to gain chips, not to lose them.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Aug 10, 2014, 04:54 AM
(#6)
okay thanks, I understood some of that but got lost on some of the jargon.
limpers,
opps, (actually is opps=opponents)?
ace/rags, I guess that is ace 8?
10BB is 10 big blind?
shoving, snap-shoving?

Oh and multiway pot with 2 overs, is that meaning that 2 jacks and 2 kings could beat me, so I should fold?

Old
Sun Aug 10, 2014, 11:22 AM
(#7)
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ligh7foo7 View Post
okay thanks, I understood some of that but got lost on some of the jargon.
limpers,
opps, (actually is opps=opponents)?
ace/rags, I guess that is ace 8?
10BB is 10 big blind?
shoving, snap-shoving?

Oh and multiway pot with 2 overs, is that meaning that 2 jacks and 2 kings could beat me, so I should fold?
Yes to all of them but the last (ace/rag is an ace with a non-broadway card). A multiway pot is one with more than 1 opponent in it. Two overs is that there are 2 cards higher than mine on the board. When faced with a board with 2 overs when I have a small/medium pair, if either of the opps bets, then they most likely have me beat and I need to fold.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com