Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Did I make the right decision

Old
Did I make the right decision - Sat Aug 09, 2014, 09:47 AM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2014
Hello,

This is my first post so I'm hoping it works properly.
The player i went all in against was very aggressive throughout his game and would go all in on very poor hands. I had a potential royal flush and flush with potential top pair. I lost fair and square but I would like another opinion please.

Thanks

Old
Sat Aug 09, 2014, 12:52 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
(Moderator)
Welcome to PokerSchoolOnline flamewipe

Here is a link to help familiarize you with all the features and services available at PSO. Feel free to look around the forum and post any comments or questions you may have.

You are invited to join the PokerSchoolOnline Community Home Games Club. Information on how to join the club may be found HERE. Hope to see you there!

Good luck at the tables.

Old
Sat Aug 09, 2014, 10:03 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2013
Hey Flame,

You need to take into account 5 factors for this hand in this order :
- position (you are UTG+1) as there are only 8 players at the table
- you are second chip lead and 6 small stacks
- the BB is loose and aggro as you said (and shows)
- you have 17BB and a very good hand pre for that level
- your own image at the table (you should monitor it)
You decide if you play or not the hand (depending on level of tourney : far or close to money) but considering the above you should be inclined to raise bigger/shove to isolate a weaker opponent and not give the short stacks (suited connectors, small pairt etc) the reason to go against you.
It's not protection, it's value betting to shove, because of the short stacks to act after you a shove is the best way to go, min raising is not as it is enough for one of them to call so that the others have the perfect odds to flat behind and then you are in deep waters.

Regards,
Shoim (Bogdan)

Old
Sat Aug 09, 2014, 11:27 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi flamewipe!

When opening a pot, I want to always make a standard raise. At this blind level, my standard is 2.5BB+1BB for each limper, so I will raise to 500.

I flop an over and a royal draw. When the opp checks to me, I want to make a standard value bet. Bets postflop need to be sized based on the size of the pot, number of opps and board texture. With one opp, a standard bet is 1/2 pot, so I will bet 450. I don't want to overbet here, as this is a tell as to the strength of my hand. Players that bet more with better hands and less with marginal ones are basically turning my hand face up to an observant opponent.. something that I need to avoid.

When the opp raises the flop bet, I'm absolutely 3-bet shoving. A standard 3-bet sizing is to between 2.5-3x the previous bet and since this is well over 1/3 of my remaining stack, I'm pot-committed and cannot fold... due to this, I need to shove. I don't want to raise less, as by doing this, I can be giving the opp the correct odds to stay in the hand. If I give them the right odds, I will lose chips to them on average each and every time... something else that I want to avoid.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Aug 10, 2014, 04:29 PM
(#5)
Since: Jul 2014
Thank you for your help and very good advice. So much to learn and so much good material and useful advice out there.

Still gutted about it but that's part of the game. You win some and you lose some.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com