Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Poker Education & Beginners Questions /

Folding Top pair to stay alive in tournament

Old
Folding Top pair to stay alive in tournament - Sun Aug 10, 2014, 11:17 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2013
BronzeStar
Hi !

Here is a hand during the open poker league tournament.

On the turn, I decided to fold since the large stack button might have three of a kind, two pairs or a flush draw... If that was the case, my pair of kinds with high kicker would have been too weak. With this high bet from the button, I prefered to fold to save money and stay alive.
Was it a good choice ?

Thanks for your help,

Didier

Old
Sun Aug 10, 2014, 11:59 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Didlesdi!

With this being a league game, I have one and only one goal and that is to outlast as many opps as possible, in order to accumulate more and more league points.

With AK, I'm absolutely going to make a standard preflop opening raise (for me at this blind level, I use 2.5BB+1BB for each limper).

When I totally miss the flop, I need to check/fold. I don't want to be putting chips into the pot when I'm behind and any of the opps could currently have a pair and be ahead. Check/calling here is a big leak of chips that I need to use to outlast more opponents.

If I saw the turn (which I would not), there's no way I'm check/folding. I'm going to lead the turn and since there are 3 opps, a standard bet sizing is 3/4 pot, so I'm leading with a value bet of 8640. If someone then shoves over me, then I'll let my hand go and if I'm called, I'm checking a non-A, non-K river and hoping to get to showdown.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com