Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

25NL Zoom AJ in SB hit two pair on the flop

Old
25NL Zoom AJ in SB hit two pair on the flop - Sun Aug 10, 2014, 02:34 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2012
Just checking my line on this hand.

Villain is 30/20 1.8 AgF over 50 hands.

I just call because frankly I didn't feel the BB would squeeze and I didn't want to 3bet and get 4bet.

Flop is pretty sweet from my point of view and I raise villains Cbet with my two pair because I think I can get value from big Aces some draws like KQ.

I also value own myself against sets of course which is unfortunate.

Having taken that line on flop I follow through with turn and river bets.

Can or should I do anything different here?

Old
Sun Aug 10, 2014, 03:32 PM
(#2)
Since: Jan 2013
I was gonna say fold pre un till i saw he is petty loose, i think the turn bet turns your hands face up as pure value only on that card so i don't like a river bet unless he would call down top pair and im not sure if you can x/c river i guess it depends on if he would call flush draws on that turn card and then bluff the river when checked to.

Old
Mon Aug 11, 2014, 06:03 AM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2014
I would 3 bet the hand pre. i don't like having a calling range in the small blind at all.
I would prefer a C/c line on the flop. when a/the villain calls a check raise. his disparity of hands shrinks and his range becomes a lot stronger.
There are AQ/Ak hands that he will call with on the flop but does call with AT?
so on the flop he would call the c/r with AA,Ak,AQ,AJ,A5s,55,JJ,56s,54s and spade draws if he calls wider we cant say!
I think C/c all the way to the river and raising the river would be the best play as he is more likely to call a raise with Ax type of hands. ie AK AQ beat a chop

Old
Mon Aug 11, 2014, 06:04 AM
(#4)
i should say as played, i check river.. and fold too a shove from viliian!

Old
Mon Aug 11, 2014, 07:12 AM
(#5)
BB isn't going to come along light and I can play pretty much perfectly against him as he has the nuts if he doesn't fold after the flop. Effectively I am the BB here 90% of the time.

Old
Mon Aug 11, 2014, 07:58 AM
(#6)
Since: Sep 2012
Yeah it's fine. Pre's whatever. I think it's fine given the bb is a fish and we don't have to worry about getting squeezed as often.

Old
Mon Aug 11, 2014, 08:54 AM
(#7)
BB isn't going to come along light and I can play pretty much perfectly against him as he has the nuts if he doesn't fold after the flop. Effectively I am the BB here 90% of the time.

I stand by the 3 bet pre statement!

Old
Mon Aug 11, 2014, 10:33 AM
(#8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gutbuster200 View Post

I stand by the 3 bet pre statement!
That's fine, but are you 3betting for value or as a bluff?

Old
Mon Aug 11, 2014, 01:03 PM
(#9)
Since: Apr 2012
I would not raise the flop because the villain is going to bet 100% of his range in this dry board. Keep his bluffing range in. C/C is my line in this scenario. But since he will probably not gonna bluff this turn card, what do you think about a donk bet on the turn and not giving him a free card? I saw Vanessa Selbst take this line in the last PCA and it made sense. If viaalin is prone to check turn just don'g give him a free card.

Old
Mon Aug 11, 2014, 01:30 PM
(#10)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi bhoy,

I'm with birdayy on this one, I think the play is fine. I lean towards flatting pre in this spot personally for a couple reasons:

1) The read on V5 is quite limited, we don't know if a 3B will fold out worse and only get action from better, if he's capable of 4-betting lite, etc.

2) BB is a fish who will increase the utility of our call by over calling with a large subset of hands that we dominate... Ax and Jx.

Post flop as played, never check/folding this river. Villain often has an ace in this spot and all flopped draws bricked off, so I do like just moving it all in and expect to get paid by worse hoping to snap our bluffs.

Tweet this hand on Twitter using the Tweet button above for a chance to win a seat in the next $5,000 guaranteed Big Bang tournament. You MUST include #LearnPoker and @PokerStarsPSO in your tweet. Winners will be notified by email every Monday. Good luck!

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Aug 11, 2014, 02:03 PM
(#11)
Okay, thanks everyone.

Glad the flat pre was ok, not sure if the BB is a fish as such but he has never played a hand. Either calling or raising. We're not talking hundreds of hands or anything but he's just never put money into the pot voluntarily so I was pretty sure I could take any action from him at face value.

When we got to the river I felt pretty sure HJ had a big Ace and would call, he can also have sets etc. but that would be pretty unfortunate, so I felt the shove was mandatory at that point.

He had the big Ace I was looking for this time, AK.

Old
Mon Aug 11, 2014, 02:04 PM
(#12)
Since: Jan 2013
Dave are you shipping river because of the villain type or is this a standard 3 barrel spot, i cant see me ever showing up with worse.

Old
Mon Aug 11, 2014, 05:26 PM
(#13)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike2198 View Post
Dave are you shipping river because of the villain type or is this a standard 3 barrel spot, i cant see me ever showing up with worse.
The villain type is uncertain, 50 hands of 30/20 doesn't give us much read, just the way this hand played out villain has AK/AQ a ton and with all draws bricking he will call to snap bluffs with those a fair bit.

Flopped sets are pretty hard to hold here, we block top and middle set and bottom set became quads.

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com