Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

25NL Zoom AK vs solid reg

Old
25NL Zoom AK vs solid reg - Sun Aug 10, 2014, 04:37 PM
(#1)
Since: Jun 2012
Villain is a solid reg at 25NL.

22/17 2.7 AGf 366 hands.

I open AK because its a nice hand to open with (Solid tip there) and flop top pair. I think a cbet is standard though not mandatory, I could check and play the hand passively.

Villain raises, I think he would 3bet KK and QQ, so to take this line I expect him to have 99, KQ, JT, KTd AxKd and a small amount of other draws. I think its a little too weak to fold so call and I can reassess based on his next move.

He bets big on the turn, which doesnt improve me, and I am now drawing dead to a lot of hands mentioned above. If I call his bet here I expect to see a river shove.

Should I be folding here? I don't have much stronger hands in my range apart from sets and KQ.

Old
Mon Aug 11, 2014, 12:30 AM
(#2)
Since: May 2011
Open raise utg AKo is standard. Do we open utg ATo into a button 22/17? Do statistics give their hand some ranging / resolution to post flop play 6max at these stakes?

I'm playing devil's advocate here. Do we assume a 3bet range from the villain? They can flat QQ or any hand to play in position. On a zoom table, you don't see the dynamic of playing many orbits like a regular table.

So we get called and our cbet gets raised. That is a good size over 3x. Does AF 2.7 mean they do that often as value or a bluff? On a regular table we may see some embarrassing showdowns from the villain and an informative note or two.

OK, tease over about stats. How can our hand improve? Calling $3.25 into $7.50 better than 2-1 are we on auto pilot, call for the turn? Looking for a card to donk lead or check raise? Being oop is not my happy face on this line.

So the turn is a blank... I would have 3bet flop $9.99 as semi-bluff (representing?) without stats. Then I have a fold button rather than two more streets.

Just mixing it up with some fun and weekend tilt.

How To: undo the hud dependency, what can a hud / auto note say in this spot.

Old
Mon Aug 11, 2014, 06:21 AM
(#3)
Since: Aug 2014
Hi
I am not keen on C betting the flop here. This is a very wet board, the villains range for raising this flop rather than calling is very wide!
He can raise with so many semi bluffs and value hands that we can not 3 bet his flop raise
And calling it sucks because there are so many bad turn cards. any A,k,Q,J,T,9, any diamond ( we do have NFD blocked tho) So half the deck sucks for us, so if the turn is a blank and we call we can still be beat already.
i like c/c the flop. i would fold to a turn bet as played

Old
Mon Aug 11, 2014, 07:57 AM
(#4)
Since: Sep 2012
I really don't like cbetting with this hand. It plays really well as a x/c. We got the Ad which is nice too.

It's an extremely dynamic board which will favor the callers range.

I think we should fold on this turn / continue on K, A and diamond turns.

Old
Mon Aug 11, 2014, 01:11 PM
(#5)
Since: Apr 2012
I usualy c-bet here and then auto-fold to a raise. That means i'm playing this spot in the wrong way. I go with gutbuster and birdayy and say it's a c/c. The Ad really ads up.

Old
Mon Aug 11, 2014, 01:15 PM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi bhoy,

Well firstly, I assume you play a TAG style? It's relevant because if that were the read I had on you, I would frequently flat QQ vs. your UTG open rather than 3B. If there were a fish in the blinds a flat is mandatory imo, don't really want to isolate the strongest parts of your UTG range while simultaneously pushing the fish out of the pot. Not that this villain wouldn't 3b it, but I wouldn't rule out QQ from his range here personally.

Post flop, since this flop texture hits our UTG range so hard, I would expect a solid player to have a big hand to be raising us here. Bigger than 1 pair for sure. The exception might be a few nut draws for a villain that likes to semi-bluff aggressively, but here we block the nut flush draw. So I think he's just weighted heavily to big hands. I would likely call the flop raise since we have back doors to the nuts and an ace might be a win for us, but am content to give up when he fires big on the blank turn card.

Also, I agree with gut and birdayy on not c-betting this board for the reasons they stated.

Tweet this hand on Twitter using the Tweet button above for a chance to win a seat in the next $5,000 guaranteed Big Bang tournament. You MUST include #LearnPoker and @PokerStarsPSO in your tweet. Winners will be notified by email every Monday. Good luck!

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Mon Aug 11, 2014, 01:43 PM
(#7)
Since: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLangolier View Post

Well firstly, I assume you play a TAG style? It's relevant because if that were the read I had on you, I would frequently flat QQ vs. your UTG open rather than 3B. If there were a fish in the blinds a flat is mandatory imo, don't really want to isolate the strongest parts of your UTG range while simultaneously pushing the fish out of the pot. Not that this villain wouldn't 3b it, but I wouldn't rule out QQ from his range here personally.
This villain will most likely see me as a TAG player, my VPIP/PFR numbers seem to vary from session to session but I imagine that over the hands he has on me I am playing quite tight. Though I don't ever actually remember us battling each other in a hand to be honest so he might not have too much on me. I suspect he will have some software that takes auto-notes though.

In my OP, I meant to say KK and AA rather than QQ, I think it is perfectly reasonable to flat that against my perceived range.

I can see now how check/calling on this particular board would be much better than my line.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com