$0.11 MTT, 66 1st position - please review - Tue Aug 12, 2014, 09:07 AM
(#1)
Since: May 2014

Played in a 0.11 MTT tourney' it was 3rd hand in the tourney so no info of opp

Old
Tue Aug 12, 2014, 09:24 AM
(#2)
Since: Dec 2013
Raise or fold pre, ~1/2 pot otf, fold now.

Old
Tue Aug 12, 2014, 11:29 AM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
With any hand that I want to open with, I need to make a standard raise, which for this blind level is to 3BB+1BB for each limper. I do not want to open limp, as any opp behind me with a clue will easily exploit me. I need to raise to 120 or fold preflop and could do either based on the way the table is playing.

When I flop a set on a wet board, I need to make a standard value bet. Bets postflop need to be sized based on the size of the pot, number of opps and board texture. With 3 opps, I need to bet 3/4 pot. I do not want to overbet here, as it tells the opps that I have an overpair to the board or better.

When the opp min-raises, I'm going to at least call here and am most likely jamming. With it being early in this tourney, all the maniacs are still in and the play in these is not very good to start with, so I can get called by much, much less than my set. Even worst case, if the opp has a straight, I have 7 outs on the turn and 10 outs on the river.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Aug 12, 2014, 05:08 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2013
Hey DD,

Pre-flop you make a very loose open UTG and the limp signals that in bright colors and fireworks.
The line you take makes no sense at all : limp pre flop / pot the flop (specially THAT flop). At these micro stakes tourneys some dudes act like you did with AA / KK although is highly not recommended, and dudes behind you feel like they need to punish you with their draws, a set here is not common for the opp, for somebody with a bit of sense that is, as they would usually call your bet on the flop and try to pot commit you OTT (on the turn).
So, keep it simple, with 40 BB open 88+ UTG (maybe even go as far as TT for starters) and do it with a raise.
On the flop hide your equity and follow on John's advice about sizing.

Regards

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com