Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

16NL-cashgame-Where am I wrong?

Old
16NL-cashgame-Where am I wrong? - Wed Aug 13, 2014, 11:13 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2014

I think pehaps I should'nt have called on the turn,but I thought I still have 4 outs of AK in case he had hit set.any comments?

Old
Thu Aug 14, 2014, 04:34 AM
(#2)
Since: Jul 2014
Hi,

I also think it's a fold. It seems there's almost no weaker hand which can make this shove OTT... (I would assume AK,TT,77, or possibly QJ. flush draw seems not so likely, Txs, 7xs would fold pre or flop)
I would bet more OTF, and less OTT. I feel an ace OTT does not help us so much: We are already ahead OTF against JJ,QQ, and weaker Kx, while J and Q OTR are scarecard for us.
I think our bet OTT can't be a value bet, and about 3.0 would be enough to make the hands above fold.

I would also consider to check-call OTT, but I'm not sure it is ok or not.

Old
Thu Aug 14, 2014, 05:31 AM
(#3)
Since: May 2011
Hi jsguo,

I would have played the hand the same way pre flop. If you had a read on the open raiser "was a very tight player" we could call. Though there is not that much difference if on flop TPTK we don't bet stronger. Not 1/2 pot but more.

So now the bad news, if we inflated the pot our turn bet needs to be bigger - wow turn 2 pair.

Anyway the cards are the same. If we flat pre flop, cbet flop / turn the same bet size or more - we get raised the same.

Now it feels sick because the turn raise is sized to commit us, even with our smaller bets. So bad advice to say make bets bigger (in hindsight) after seeing the result.

I can fold one day "did I see that player do something === has the nuts" and on another day just call. Against an unknown my nit mode would flat pre and play a small pot.

Bad now to delay the bigger bets to the river and even worse because a 3bet folds out QJ T9 etc.. or did we want value from those hands calling.

As played it's a fold. Just started typing after seeing the result and was thinking - would it make any difference taking a different pre flop line / bet size? No, just wasted your time.

Old
Thu Aug 14, 2014, 12:35 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Head Trainer)
Hi jsguo,

I tend to agree... especially after our turn sizing which is almost full pot, and the fact that we have top and 2nd set as well as AK well within our range here, I would rate the villain to be very strong moving all in. Villain doing this with worse hands (AQ/AJ/QQ/JJ) would be fairly suicidal, so absent any read that villain is a huge fish, I think we can make an exploitative fold here.

Tweet this hand on Twitter using the Tweet button above for a chance to win a seat in the next $5,000 guaranteed Big Bang tournament. You MUST include #LearnPoker and @PokerStarsPSO in your tweet. Winners will be notified by email every Monday. Good luck!

Head Live Trainer
Check out my Videos

4 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com