Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Early AA in Open Skill League

Old
Early AA in Open Skill League - Sat Aug 16, 2014, 09:23 AM
(#1)
Since: Aug 2011
I got AhAd UTG and made normal 3BB raise, UTG2 called my raise and MP1 went ALL-in. I called and UTG2 called with Jh9h, MP1 had AcKc. I lost the hand to flop Js Jc Qh Th 7d.

I am a begginer player and I know you should play realy tight in Open Skill league early, but did i made the right call or should i have avoid early pre flop ALL-in's even with AA.

Old
Sat Aug 16, 2014, 09:43 AM
(#2)
Since: Apr 2014
I think you did the right thing. With AA you want to get the chips in the middle before the flop. You were a 68 % favourite so normally 7 out of 10 times you win. This time you were unlucky.

And yes at the OSL people go easily all in with almost anything in the first half hour or so .Therefore only play top hands in the beginning and if you can play only in position.

Old
Sat Aug 16, 2014, 10:10 AM
(#3)
Since: Feb 2013
AA is the best starting hand.
If somebody shoves on you preflop, you should always call.

Don't feel bad about this, it's a bad beat and it happends.

Old
Sat Aug 16, 2014, 11:51 AM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
With AA early in a league game preflop, I want to make a standard raise and if someone shoves on me, I'm snap-calling.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Sat Aug 16, 2014, 12:12 PM
(#5)
Since: Jan 2014
To answer that question you must know what your goal is. If it is to simply win a hand then go right ahead and go all-in with a decent chance at winning it. In a cash game you most certainly would do that because a single hand is akin to its own tournament, but in a points league format do you really want to simply win hands or do you want to find a balanced approach to live as long as possible?

There are at least 5 or 6 different goals I have identified that one can be pursuing which are not at all foolish if that's what you settle on. Not everyone plays for monthly standings. Only you can answer what your goal is. I have settled for playing the stats leader boards and I can tell you that I routinely lay down AA unless there is a compelling points argument to be playing them. I'm not looking for cards as much as I'm looking for opportunities to be in hands that are profitable to my score.

Ask yourself this: is it better to be given AA and go all-in with no other knowledge of what is coming by way of # of challenges and community cards or to have limped in with a marginal starting hand and hit a straight, a nut flush or a set with only one or two other cards coming? I would rather take the latter. You have time at the start of a league game to see some hands. If you are in a late position and can get in against one opponent you may still want to take that chance, but it will fail some times (as it must) and you will deal with the points consequences. You cannot mope when it fails, though. You must say to yourself you knew it was possible and that you embraced the risk.

Old
Sat Aug 16, 2014, 09:37 PM
(#6)
Since: Feb 2013
ChromeStar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleobuddy View Post
To answer that question you must know what your goal is. If it is to simply win a hand then go right ahead and go all-in with a decent chance at winning it. In a cash game you most certainly would do that because a single hand is akin to its own tournament, but in a points league format do you really want to simply win hands or do you want to find a balanced approach to live as long as possible?

There are at least 5 or 6 different goals I have identified that one can be pursuing which are not at all foolish if that's what you settle on. Not everyone plays for monthly standings. Only you can answer what your goal is. I have settled for playing the stats leader boards and I can tell you that I routinely lay down AA unless there is a compelling points argument to be playing them. I'm not looking for cards as much as I'm looking for opportunities to be in hands that are profitable to my score.

Ask yourself this: is it better to be given AA and go all-in with no other knowledge of what is coming by way of # of challenges and community cards or to have limped in with a marginal starting hand and hit a straight, a nut flush or a set with only one or two other cards coming? I would rather take the latter. You have time at the start of a league game to see some hands. If you are in a late position and can get in against one opponent you may still want to take that chance, but it will fail some times (as it must) and you will deal with the points consequences. You cannot mope when it fails, though. You must say to yourself you knew it was possible and that you embraced the risk.
Well said. It is only one hand and Depending where you stand on the leader board and the stage of the month would be my consideration of weather to call or fold.

Old
Sat Aug 16, 2014, 11:27 PM
(#7)
Since: Mar 2013
WhiteStar
..... Yeah that's true.....

Old
Sun Aug 17, 2014, 01:25 AM
(#8)
Since: Aug 2010
in poker we have to take the risk to get a bigger reward if i got AA no matter where am I at the leadearboard I'm taking my chance FIST PUMP SHOUTING HELL YEAH I CALL

but good explanation from cleo

Old
Sun Aug 17, 2014, 02:26 AM
(#9)
Since: Jun 2010
BronzeStar
Always...I repeat always play Aces aggressively.You have to realize you will get unlucky sometimes or your opponent will get lucky.

All in All overtime you will win more playing Aces aggressively before the flop.Good Luck at the tables.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Sun Aug 17, 2014, 04:24 AM
(#10)
Since: Jan 2010
BronzeStar
I'll often finish one of these games with a VPIP of 0, but it always goes in with AA. I'm confident that the points lost over the course of a month by doing this are outweighed by the additional points gained.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com