Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Can I jam?

Old
Can I jam? - Sun Aug 17, 2014, 01:42 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2011
It is $11 Phase tournament with 2 Day's (Phase 1 = Day 1 and Phase 2 = Day 2) and I am playing Phase 2 so I am ITM now and it has 10mins blind level. Pay-jumps are not very huge around 575 players were left at this point, 1170 were paid.

Should I shove or fold? You can see UTG limped and SB raised 3x.

STATS :

Old
Sun Aug 17, 2014, 03:05 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2013
Hey Adikumar,

The opp has us well covered, he covers the utg aswell. We have slightly less than 20 bb (considering antes we are at 18bb)
I don't see any steal stats. So if SB is a wild stealer (as he should with that big stack) I would probably 3b and consider a shove, depending on UTG action (if he calls or re-shoves after he limps he might get cute with AA, as he seems nitty but the sample is sooo small). A direct 3b shove with a guy to act after me here is hmm for me, there are more clear spots than this, on a blind on blind HU it's ok I guess.

Regards.

PS : in this particular case the most 'safe' way is to fold, find other more clear spots, and in the process go up the money ladder as others are shooting each other, you are not giving out any reads, as folding BB can be seen as 'standard'.

Old
Sun Aug 17, 2014, 04:12 PM
(#3)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi adikumar2010!

You're missing a key stat here, SB's raise over a limper out of the blind.

If it were just me and the opener, I'd be more than happy to raise (or I could check and try to setmine). But, with the SB raising, it seems that this opp is a decent player, this is a totally different situation.

I don't have enough chips to setmine, so calling the 12k is out of the question, so I need to either shove or fold.

If both players call, then I'm going to win less than 1/3 of the time, so this option is -EV.

Against just the SB's range, I'm also an underdog.

With this being the case, I'm folding and will find a better situation, where I'm ahead in the hand or when it's a definite +EV situation.

John (JWK24)

Tweet this hand on Twitter using the Tweet button above for a chance to win a seat in the next $5,000 guaranteed Big Bang tournament. You MUST include #LearnPoker and @PokerStarsPSO in your tweet. Winners will be notified by email every Monday. Good luck!

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Last edited by JWK24; Mon Aug 18, 2014 at 03:58 PM..

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com