Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

Hot $2.20 Turbo. Tournament How to play straight

Old
Hot $2.20 Turbo. Tournament How to play straight - Mon Aug 18, 2014, 05:22 AM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2011
It is Hot $2.20 Turbo.

Once I bet on the turn I can't fold even if there is a good chance that villain had full house.

I want to know :-
1. If I should have 3-bet preflop?
2. If I should have raised on the flop?
3. If I should just call the flop bet and then should've just checked the turn and call the river bet of villain?

How should I have played it?

PS: I can't fold this hand preflop as original raiser is loose. But maybe I was thinking of 3-betting preflop. But I had only 30BB so 3-betting pre and then c-betting flop will waste 50% of my stack.

STATS :

Last edited by adikumar2010; Mon Aug 18, 2014 at 05:33 AM..

Old
Mon Aug 18, 2014, 11:34 AM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi adikumar2010!

With AJ on the button, I get a min-raise and a call. With both of these actions from what seems to be looser opps (not many hands), I'll call and see the flop in position. I don't want to 3-bet here due to two things. First, this bet pot-commits me and the second is the player that calls. If they continue, their range totally crushes AJ (2-1 dog).

I flop a straight on a very, very wet board. The opp that called the initial raise preflop now bets 1/2 pot. This is very troubling, as the board just smacks the range of this player (most likely a straight, 2 pair or nut flush draw)... and I also have the other opp to act behind me.
Since any raise pot-commits me, once again, I'd have to shove if I raise and I do not want to do this for the following reasons. First, there is another opp to act and if it's a 3-way pot, the opps WILL have the correct odds to try to outdraw me. Secondly, even if I only get a call by the flop bettor, they are priced in for a flush draw, let alone a possible combo draw. Since I can't price them out, I don't want to bloat the pot on a very wet board.

The turn pairs the board and when the opps check, I absolutely need to check behind. I do not want to shove (any standard bet would cause me to shove due to being pot-committed) and I do not want to make an abnormally small bet that doesn't make sense and is a tell on what I have.. weak bets are weak hands.

On the river, when the flush now completes with a paired board, I'm checking behind if the opps check and going to showdown and must fold to any bet as both the flush and full house draws have hit. I do not want to call a river bet because everything got there and now beats me. I need to keep my chips and look for a better spot when I'm ahead, not when every single draw hits and has me crushed.

The best line here is to call pre, call flop, check turn, check/fold river.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Tweet this hand on Twitter using the Tweet button above for a chance to win a seat in the next $5,000 guaranteed Big Bang tournament. You MUST include #LearnPoker and @PokerStarsPSO in your tweet. Winners will be notified by email every Monday. Good luck!

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Last edited by JWK24; Mon Aug 18, 2014 at 03:58 PM..

Old
Mon Aug 18, 2014, 12:01 PM
(#3)
Since: Mar 2011
If I check turn and he bets 1/2 pot or even if he goes all-in on river with no flush complete. I think I will have to call there as he can bluff busted flush draw but it will be very tough if he went all-in on non-flush river card. Coz I am not sure if I can fold straight as only 3 hands beats me QT KT TT, QQ & KK will 3-bet preflop.

Old
Mon Aug 18, 2014, 12:38 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Not folding a straight on this type of board to this type of opponent is taking our chips and lighting them on fire... a straight is basically never good here, so if I'm never good, I don't want to put chips into the pot. I want to be putting them in when I'm most likely ahead, not when the board crushes me.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com