Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

2NL Zoom is it correct to check the TURN ?

Old
2NL Zoom is it correct to check the TURN ? - Mon Aug 18, 2014, 07:25 PM
(#1)
Since: Jan 2011
Player in CU was marked as REG which made me be a bit more cautious, but am I loosing value by checking on the TURN, and should I have Raised on the RIVER?

Old
Mon Aug 18, 2014, 08:04 PM
(#2)
Since: Aug 2010
defo bet on turn for value and protect our hand from another spade coming

you got position so you can easily c/f on the river if another spade come - if no spade comes along on the river you will be definitely have the best hand so i think you should raise on the river again for value

Old
Tue Aug 19, 2014, 12:47 PM
(#3)
Since: Oct 2011
Well played. I don't mind the turn check-back at all.
That turn card either improves villain (often to a flush) or it scares the hell out of him, meaning he won't call your value-bet unless he has AT+ (or KT/QT with the Ks).

River is just a call too. It's too thin to raise, I think, since you lose to several sets, flushes and straights, and the only worse hands that can call a raise are AJ/AT that are somewhat unlikely holdings given the board texture and action.
There may be a slight loss of EV by taking the passive line you took, but it minimises variance. At 2NL, I think being cautious is often better than building huge pots with anything less than the nuts.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Aug 19, 2014, 07:32 PM
(#4)
Great reply from both of you,

I see you argument Marvin, and was my main concern in this play that I am loosing EV by playing conservative. BET on TURN and a RAISE on RIVER would for sure get me at least twice the value then conservative play.

Arty thanks for the breakdown, it reassured me that my play had valid betting structure to reduce variance and protect my self against possible flushes, sets and gutters that the villain might be drawing too.

Thank you both for your comments, and look forward to share more hands with you in the future.

Bartec @PS

Old
Sat Aug 23, 2014, 11:04 PM
(#5)
Since: Feb 2014
You could definitely b/f turn, but I hate doing that with sets, so checking is fine. It makes us look weak so we can expect our opponent to be betting his entire range of A/x on the river hoping to get looked up by a 2nd pair. However, given the river brings a jack, raising river just looks a little too thin. KQ got there, and there are many combos of flushes. I don't expect a thinking opponent to call a raise on that river with AJo... I think you played it fine given you thought he was a reg

Old
Tue Aug 26, 2014, 12:45 AM
(#6)
Swagneto thanks for the positive feedback, its good to know that this was a solid competent Post-Flop play.

Cheers,

Bartec @PS

Old
Tue Aug 26, 2014, 02:51 AM
(#7)
Since: Jul 2011
(Community Coordinator)
The villains limp preflop in the cutoff is a big tell that he's a weak player, always attack weakk players with aggression I would have bet about 70% pot OTT and hoped that the board paired for a full house.

Raiser

Old
Tue Aug 26, 2014, 02:44 PM
(#8)
Since: Jan 2012
I like royalraise85's approach, since the villain looks fishy you can expect to get away with it most of the times. But the cautious way you play it definitely it's the safe move

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com