Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Opinions please!

Old
Opinions please! - Tue Aug 19, 2014, 03:18 PM
(#1)
Since: Apr 2014
Hey, could I please have views on this? The villain is a calling machine with a high tendency to play rubbish.

partypoker - $5+$0|200/400 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 5 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4: http://www.pokertracker.com

UTG: 53.79 BB (VPIP: 43.48, PFR: 26.09, 3Bet Preflop: 22.22, Hands: 23)
CO: 49.35 BB (VPIP: 33.33, PFR: 33.33, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 12)
BTN: 64.11 BB (VPIP: 34.78, PFR: 21.74, 3Bet Preflop: 20.00, Hands: 23)
SB: 25.19 BB (VPIP: 43.48, PFR: 4.35, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 23)
Hero (BB): 48.16 BB

5 players post ante of 0.1 BB, SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2 BB) Hero has 9s 7s
UTG calls 1 BB, fold, fold, fold, Hero checks

Flop : (3 BB, 2 players) Kc 8d Th
Hero checks, UTG bets 2 BB, Hero calls 2 BB

Turn : (7 BB, 2 players) Js
Hero checks, UTG checks

River : (7 BB, 2 players) Jh
Hero bets 7 BB, UTG raises to 18.67 BB, Hero raises to 45.06 BB and is all-in, UTG calls 26.4 BB

UTG shows 9d Qh (Straight, King High) (Pre 68%, Flop 74%, Turn 97%)
Hero shows 9s 7s (Straight, Jack High) (Pre 32%, Flop 26%, Turn 3%)
UTG wins 97.13 BB

Old
Tue Aug 19, 2014, 03:36 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi Chips of Jen!

When I turn the straight, I absolutely need to make a 1/2 pot value bet when the opp checks. The only way that I can check is if there is not a single card in the deck that can beat me (which is not the case since I'm holding the low end of a straight).
Especially if the opp is a calling station, I want them to make the mistake that they're accustomed to... calling with worse.

If the opp raises my turn bet, then I need to re-evaluate and the large raise on the river is also concerning as the opp could have hit a full house. The stat here that I would need to see is how often the opp raises the river. If they are a station, they are most likely used to calling on the river and not raising. If this is the case, then a raise from a station is a tremendous red flag as they will only do this with a monster and with the low end of a straight on a paired board... I need to muck.

When stations raise, especially on the river, it's only going to be from a monster hand.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Aug 19, 2014, 07:11 PM
(#3)
Since: Apr 2014
Hey, thanks for the help!
With regards to not betting the turn I was first to act and wrongly anticipated a bet :P. I tried looking to find his river raise stats but the hand has long since gone into history Thank you for the advice will watch out for that in the future

Oli

Old
Tue Aug 19, 2014, 07:45 PM
(#4)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Sorry.. I meant to lead the turn. what I get for multitasking.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com