Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Cash Games /

Would you have played this different?

Old
Would you have played this different? - Tue Aug 19, 2014, 05:32 PM
(#1)
Since: Jul 2013
BronzeStar

Would you have played this differently? Should I have played this differently?

Old
Tue Aug 19, 2014, 05:44 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
what type of tourney is this from? it will make a huge difference in my answer. Please always include this, as different tournament types have different strategies.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Tue Aug 19, 2014, 07:20 PM
(#3)
Since: Jul 2014
With the blinds as they are I wouldn't be calling ace-rag from early position, I probably wouldn't call A9 or less from mid or late either, depending on the tourny format and opponents. My primary objective would be to conserve my stack at this point, then go for the heavy blow if I was forced by increased blinds or a good opportunity came along.

If I did play from UTG then I would want to be raising and have a hand that I would be willing to jam with pre-flop if I got any action back, which seems to happen quite often at the stakes I play at (micro).

Playing weak or slow post flop seemed to be asking for trouble, giving relatively good odds to everyone left in the pot. Someone could have had a set, all could have been sat there waiting for their straight. Afterall, you only had one pair.

I say you got lucky, but it still depends on the format and the opponents.

AJ_Orion

Old
Tue Aug 19, 2014, 08:20 PM
(#4)
Since: Oct 2011
Anything but folding pre-flop is bad. You're UTG at a full ring table. You need a much stronger hand to even consider getting involved.

Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Aug 20, 2014, 12:17 AM
(#5)
Since: May 2011
Looked at the blind level 30/60 we have ~15bb so fold A5 utg, it is not a strong hand early position.

PS. I didn't look at any other post in this thread. On a cash table 150bb deep I'm still folding.

Old
Wed Aug 20, 2014, 11:05 AM
(#6)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Unless this is a hyper turbo (and I'd even fold it about 90% of the time there).. this is an instant muck preflop.

When I play hands and am the first into the pot, I do not want to limp. I need to be raising or folding.

John (JWK24)

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Wed Aug 20, 2014, 11:08 AM
(#7)
Since: Feb 2012
BronzeStar
i would have likely went for a smoke during this hand

Quintuple Bracelet Winner

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com