Home / Community / Forum / Poker Education / Texas Hold'Em Tournament Section (MTTs & STTs) /

$4.40 PKO, Mistakes I made

Old
$4.40 PKO, Mistakes I made - Wed Aug 20, 2014, 05:39 PM
(#1)
Since: Mar 2011
This is $4.40 PKO with 10mins blind level.

What are the mistake I made in this hand other then making a stupid fishy shove on the river.

I figured out one thing that I should have raised half the chips that the player (UTG+2) next to me had, so that I can just re-shove on the turn after the loose lo-jack player had called his shove.

PS: I shove river coz I never thought that the lo-jack player is chasing a straight on a flush draw board. I put him on flush draw as no sane opponent will stack off chasing OESD on a flush draw board against two opponents who are showing super strength and are going berzerk.

STATS :

Old
Wed Aug 20, 2014, 08:59 PM
(#2)
Since: Jun 2010
(Super-Moderator)
BronzeStar
Hi adikumar2010!

This whole hand starts to go bad on the flop. I flop top pair with 3 opps. When it checks to me, I cannot bet less than 3/4 pot. If I bet less than this, I’m potentially giving the opps the correct odds to try to outdraw me and if I do so and lose, it’s my own fault.

I also absolutely cannot overbet the flop. Doing so with a very marginal hand (top pair/good kicker) is a disaster waiting to happen. It will cause all the worse hands to fold and all the hands that have me crushed to call. I need to make consistent, standard bets… no more, no less.

When 2 opps call, I need to check the turn. There are now 3 to a straight and 2 flush draws out there along with someone could very easily be ahead of me already. I want to be putting my chips into the pot when I’m most likely ahead and here against multiple opps, I can easily be beat. If I had TPTK or two pair, then I’d be happy to make a 2/3 pot value bet here, but not in this situation and I absolutely do not want to bet less than 2/3 if I do bet.

The river now puts 4 to a straight on the board. If I wasn’t already behind, I most likely am now, so I need to check/fold. All that making an abnormally large bet does is to get me value owned as it will cause everything worse to fold and everything better to call.

The line taken in this whole hand doesn’t make sense. A check preflop says weak hand, a weak bet on flop says weak hand, another weak bet on turn says weak hand, then shove the river that says that I have a 6… well, a 6 would not bet the flop on a backdoor straight… so the line does not make sense and when it doesn’t make sense, it’s normally a bluff, which is what KT is turned into here.

The better line for this hand is to bet 3/4 pot on the flop, then check/fold the turn and river.

Hope this helps and good luck at the tables.

John (JWK24)

Tweet this hand on Twitter using the Tweet button above for a chance to win a seat in the next $5,000 guaranteed Big Bang tournament. You MUST include #LearnPoker and @PokerStarsPSO in your tweet. Winners will be notified by email every Monday. Good luck!

Super-Moderator

6 Time Bracelet Winner

Old
Thu Aug 21, 2014, 06:46 AM
(#3)
Since: Sep 2010
Check out this video series by GarethC in the archives - I can highly recommend it for navigating your way through Multiway pots.

http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...Madness-Part-1
http://www.pokerschoolonline.com/art...Madness-Part-2

I agree with John but I wouldn't necessarily check/fold the turn, it depends on what else happens, but if I get a cheap enough price to call, I wouldn't mind seeing a river with my top pair plus flush draw. So I'd check and hope to see a river for free and call a bet if I'm getting pot odds of 4:1 or so.

Getting PokerStars is easy: download and install the PokerStars game software, create your free player account, and validate your email address. Clicking on the download poker button will lead to the installation of compatible poker software on your PC of 51.7 MB, which will enable you to register and play poker on the PokerStars platform. To uninstall PokerStars use the Windows uninstaller: click Start > Control Panel and then select Add or Remove programs > Select PokerStars and click Uninstall or Remove.

Copyright (c) PokerSchoolOnline.com. All rights reserved, Rational Group, Douglas Bay Complex, King Edward Road, Onchan, Isle of Man, IM3 1DZ. You can email us on support@pokerschoolonline.com